New build only posts right after i clear cmos

no im not gonna lie... let me put it this way:

it suddenly works using orange dimms (2 + 4) with any ram i throw in there

earlier i had been using dimm 1 and 3, ironically 2 and 4 were the two i didnt try till just now.

its somwhat disconcerting the way the fan shuts off when my system is idle. i'm assuming this is some default ACPI behavior supported by my linux boot cd.

Genie BIOS Settings > PC Health > you will find "fully on" "fully off" temperature settings for fan control. The default BIOS values will allow your fan to slow down (or completely turn off) if the lower temperature thresh-hold is reached. Set the fully on and fully off temperatures to the same value. I use 25C for all of mine. That will force your fan to run at full RPM at all times regardless of the the chip temperature.

Also, depending on the BIOS on your board, either the orange or yellow slots will be preferred. The 704-2bt BIOS is supposed to be fairly RAM friendly, and may be a good option to use the sticks in any of the slots... More than likely, all the slots are fine, and would post just fine with some higher quality RAM and/or a more friendly BIOS...