Water Cooling, Is It Worth It?

asus

If your not got to extermaly oc your processor or maby not even oc it at all, is it a good idea to stay away from watercooling? Will you get a BIG jump in proformance? Just wanted to know

The added longevity of water cooling CPU parts is nice, but in a non-overclocked state I really find no reason for it. As for noise, some are really quiet, while some pumps make an annoying noise (not nice ones though). As for my w/c... it is really quiet except I have 17 fans in it...

Yeah, my watercooling is primarily for the noise reduction. Of course its nice to have the better cooling and higher overclock, but lets face it. Another 100 Mhz doesn't make a HUGE difference. But when you cut the noise level by 2/3, that's something impressive. (especially when you're a huge classical music fan like me. I could barely hear Dvorak's Symphony #9, Movement 2, Largo, with my Volcano 11)

Like they said... unless you're going for a serious, functional overclock or just have fans that are keeping you up at night, watercooling really isn't worth the expenditure (effort and $$)...

And there are alternative to watercooling, if noise is really a problem...

(especially when you're a huge classical music fan like me. I could barely hear Dvorak's Symphony #9, Movement 2, Largo, with my Volcano 11)

I just had to comment on this...so I am

That's sick. Dvorak's stuff is a little quiet sometimes. I'm still a Beethoven/Bach/Mozart fan, the "classic classcis..."

And as for a WC, temps are the only reason I'd do it. I don't mind the noise as I've gotten used to it.

If I had money, I'd go for water cooling for a combonation of noise (my PC is frickin' loud!), bragging rights, and of course, a higher o/c! Overall I would say that watercooling is only good if you want to pay extra money for less noise and a slightly higher o/c. You can still get excellent performance, sometimes better than water cooling, with an SLK-900A and a Vantec Tornado. It really depends what your concerns are.