Thermaltake Volcano 9 Heatsink Review

Bosco

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this heatsink looks really great, but right now it doesn't seem to be widely available. does anyone know of any place that's selling these? i'd give my right leg to get one of these right now. thanks.

studentism

I am a bit confused. (well, not really, I think there is just an error in the review) Below taken from your review:

"The fan on this heatsink was one of the most compelling features of the Volcano 9. However, a good fan isn't worth anything without a good heatsink. On the bottom of the Volcano 9, you see the copper base insert. This is the same design we saw on the Volcano 7+."

Not the case. I have a 7+, and its solid copper, as stated in the 7+ review linked in your review.

"I think they made a good choice, in adopting thin fins on this heatsink. Besides, the thin fins, the whole heatsink is solid copper! It's so heavy you'd think it's made of solid iron!"

May be a trivial point, but my temps with the 7+ seem much better than your tests with the 9. I am wondering if this fan on a better heat sink, perhaps one of solid copper, would show better results.

Please don't take any offense to this post, as none is intended.

An no LinuXProX, I looked everywhere I could think of and couldn't find anyone even listing it yet.

Not the case. I have a 7+, and its solid copper, as stated in the 7+ review linked in your review.
Yes a mistake, I mean the Volcano 7, not the 7+. I will fix it.

May be a trivial point, but my temps with the 7+ seem much better than your tests with the 9. I am wondering if this fan on a better heat sink, perhaps one of solid copper, would show better results

Temp tests will vary from system to system. Depending on if you use the internal probe that is on your motherboard (which isn't very accurate and most of the time makes your temps seem cooler then what they really are), a comp-u-nurse type sensor (which is more accurate), or a laser Temp Gun like I used.

If you always buy just the fan, and test it on yoru 7+ and see what kind of temps you get :)

You should see this thread about pricing. However, I don't know of any online stores that have either the fan or heatsink instock yet.

This Heatsink is SWEET! ;)

Just one little question, there are one or two jumpers? if so can you have both manual & auto mode connected @ the same time?

What I mean is, if in that little blue thing there is a position to put the heatsink working in auto mode?

Or if you want to go to bed with your computer on, you have to take the side panel off unplug the auto mode & connect the nifty blue thing to make that airplane to land :P and get a nice beauty sleep!

thank you! :rolleyes:

Greetings,

I've been checking around the Thermaltake site, about this HS. About that question I've posted before, I think the answer is in the third function mode, & they say:

"Adjustable Manual Fan Speed Control From 1300 rpm to 4800 rpm

Provide various Fan speed control from 1300rpm to 4800rpm. "

I believe that this is a Yes :D to my previous question, or they are just saying the same thing with other words? :blink:

thank you!

You know what... someone needs to make a proggie that can control fanspeeds from windows or something... I wonder if its possible to connect both the temp monitor and the rehostat as the same time so that it will monitor temps and adjust like that, but maybe you could set a max speed or something. I really want one of those fans!!! The heatsink is for amd so i wouldn't really be able to use it unless there's a way to change the clip...

• 1 month later...

how the hell do you get idle and load temps that low with those heatsinks on a 2100+, you are beating watercooling kits even with the fop38. i know lots of people with 1600-1800+ athlons with ax7s to alphas and they get like 40-48 idle and 48-53 at load. most of them have epox or abit motherboards. this doesn't make sense. and you said your case cooling isn't the best. well these guy's case cooling is very good. they use the best of most everything. something is not right.

this person's review is a little more believable,

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/Tt_...lcano9_pg3.html

Temps will vary from one system to another. If i was to use your friends heatsink, I'm sure I wouldn't get the same temps as he or she.

How did they get the temps of their CPU? Do they know how to properly apply thermal paste? What kind of thermal paste did they use? What core voltage do they have their cpu set at?

All of these can change the temp of your cpu.

My core voltage is set at 1.70 which gives my cpu about a 2

the temps are monitord by the onboard sensor on the cpu socket, which is a perfect read. only artic silver 3 is used and they know to keep the layer thin, as well as high rpm fans mostly 50cfm sunons or tornados, the voltages are default. their temps i saw were from nonoverclocked systems. some didn't have fans in their side panel blowing over cpu but some did and still. the rooms temps are regular too. they have done their homework but still they don't compete with your watercooling-like air. i don't get it. i have a slot athlon 900@[email protected] with a top performer vos32 and i get idle temps of 44 and load temps of 50 which i think is remarkable. but my setup can't be compared to sockets of course.