Thermaltake Volcano 9 Heatsink Review

Bosco

ah you scared me, I thought I was seeing things because I couldnt find where he said he had a slot either :lol:

but low and behold, I found it!

i have a slot athlon 900@[email protected] with a top performer vos32 and i get idle temps of 44 and load temps of 50 which i think is remarkable.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am dead broke. i would like to get a new case/mobo/cpu/ram but selling my slot setup wont bring me all that much money. and anyway i paid $360 for the cpu+heatsink+fans in the summer of 2000 so i figure i should just keep it and someday when i upgrade i can pass it down to my lowly messenger obsessed family.

right now i am on a very sad assed k6-2, i't so crap slow it's pathetic, can't even play quake 1 at respectable frame rates 15-30. my ka7 motherboard for my athlon took a crap a couple of the capacitors around the socket. 2nd time i've had to rma it. its out of warranty but luckily abit takes out of warranty returns for $25. i have it paired with a radeon 8500 and it gets 5600 in 3dmark2001 so it can run most games today without much of an fps drop although these new games like dungeon siege or nwn, the fps is pretty darn low to start with so any fps drop can be annoying.

i've managed to squeeze a few bucks out of the couch so now i can buy a couple 60mm fans and filters and cut up a couple front big bay covers for the 60mm fans to sit in and blow outside air into my cpu fans, as they take in air from the front drives unlike sockets from the side of the case so this coule really help me. could stick my two hot . ata100 7200rpm drives for it to cool too if i wanted but i'll have to see how the different setups would impact cpu temp. me so excited.

ouch, sounds like you've hand your rounds of bad luck :/

Got any hardware you could sell on ebay, to make some extra $$?

That's a thought.. could always bum some cash off of your friend <_>

i lapped my heatsink crap that was tough work. i used 120, 400, 600, 1500. a total of about 8 hours. its not that much of a mirror but its pretty smooth compared to before. although i didn't get much lower cpu temps probabably because i couldn't find my thermal compound. i had it between the heatsink and heatplate before i lapped it and it gives pretty much the same performance as being lapped without the compound so heh. also i got a new a/c and now instead of a room temp of 80-82 i got one of 61f and it's frickin cold in here my feet are blue, and with the side panel off, my cpu temp was at 33c idle as compared to 44-45c. case temp was 17c. this was amazing for me my lowest cpu temp ever. and it actually would read hotter than before because i had checked and some tape came undone and the probe wasnt touching the core anymore it was a little off, so i corrected it and it otherwise i would of got an even lower reading than 33. i overclocked this to the max, voltages and everything and it was 39c idle i was like crap, the load temps weren't that much higher. so i am pretty happy. but i am keeping a room temp of 70-72 and not stressing on the overclocking. so 41c idle. i like it. where's my crap compound grr.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, i'm too lazy to read all these wordings when i'm suppose to sleep.

Here's my case which I would like to have feedback from all of the pros out there. My readings on the casing itself and ASUS probe proved to be different. BUT, the bios and the readings on the casing are the same.

System Spec.

Thermaltake XaserII 5000A (Casing)

AMD Athlon XP 2200+ (TBred)

ASUS A7V333 Mainboard

Kingston 512MB DDR333

Siluro GF4MX440 64MB

I just bought the Volcano 9. Because the stupid original heatsink from AMD had a result of 57 - 63c by ASUS Probe with my side panel removed!!!.

Now, after installing it, and plugging in the two thermal probes, one from the casing itself and one from the fan. I ran the fan at full speed which ASUS Probe reported 5400rpm.

The probes from the fan and casing are stucked onto the top flat surface of the cpu and smeared wif thermal glue. I guess this would make the readings more accurate.

Now, i get a reading of 54c instead of 57c. This time wif the panel on. WTH. But my reading on the casing shows 46.8c........can anyone tell me whats going on?!?!?