Vigor Gaming Monsoon II (754, 939, AM2, LGA775) TEC cooling!

Angry_Games

Ok after going through what seem to be an impossible setup and startup i finally managed to get this thing to work!! Mind you that the instructions are not very helpful and do not really guide you if you have a problem. My first problem i ran into was that the holes on the board where the backplate and the tec sync up was too small for the tec to sit on and apparently it didn't sit flush with the cpu. I had to take a round file and enlarge the mounting holes on the board(ONly do this if your confident and know what your doing. I do not recommend this unless your willing to risk it). After installation and connecting the TEC to the display, i powered up the computer and found that this thing was still not sitting flush and that caused the system to shutdown immediately after power up. I had to strip the system back down and retighten the tec and backplate and finally it worked.

First initial runs that i'm conducting currently is the same frequency and voltage that I used with my Zalman CNPS9500; which is 250x11 @ 1.54v. Currently the system is running 26C on idle and about 35C on full load(rendering movie in Vegas). and my ambient room temperature currenlty is about 20C. Another thing b4 i end this long thread, I have found that this TEC needs ample amounts of cooling cuz of the strong heat exhaust coming from the TEC. I have a huge 120MM Turbine type fan on the back on my FUll tower and two 120MM on the front that keep even exchange but i still feel hot air inside the case. So make sure you have lots of air cooling running through your case to use this TEC.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to purchase a TT Big Typhoon and see how it compares to this. TBH I am having some mixed feelings about this. I use to run a TT Big Water on my 4200X2 and besides the mess of water it worked decent. I don't think this will meet that level of cooling. I replaced my XP-90 (not the c) with this and lowered my load temps down about 5-10c @ the same settings. I am thinking that a TT BT may have done the same so I am going to try it out.

Not to mention I cannot close my side panel without the 120mm fan hitting this. It is very big.

After reading Happy's review of the Monsoon II, and never being able to get above 2.7 ghz from my Opty 148 CAB2E, I decided to give the Monsoon II a try.

My previous temps from my Zalman CNPS7000-Cu were 39 idle/54 load at 2700, 1.45V.

With the Monsoon II keeping me steady at 38 idle/45 load, I'm right now superpi32 and 3dmark05 stable at 270x11 (2970) @ 1.4*110% (1.54V).

I definitely recommend this cooler to anyone with a Socket 939 processor! (I am not sure how it would perform for C2D, however).

(Edited to remove request for help, as this was off topic ;))

After reading Happy's review of the Monsoon II, and never being able to get above 2.7 ghz from my Opty 148 CAB2E, I decided to give the Monsoon II a try.

My previous temps from my Zalman CNPS7000-Cu were 39 idle/54 load at 2700, 1.45V.

With the Monsoon II keeping me steady at 38 idle/45 load, I'm right now superpi32 and 3dmark05 stable at 270x11 (2970) @ 1.4*110% (1.54V). However, I'm so tempted to try to squeeze those extra 30 mhz to hit 3000. However, even at 1.6 V, I cannot boot into windows.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to squeeze 30 more mhz out of my Opty 148? Would it help at all to lower the multiplier to 10x and try upping the FSB more?

Thanks!

You can add some more Vcore as long as your temps stay down. I like to keep it no higher than 55c but preferably 50c. And yes sometimes lowering your multi helps and sometimes it doesn't. But then this is the wrong thread to discuss that.

With the Monsoon II keeping me steady at 38 idle/45 load, I'm right now superpi32 and 3dmark05 stable at 270x11 (2970) @ 1.4*110% (1.54V). However, I'm so tempted to try to squeeze those extra 30 mhz to hit 3000. However, even at 1.6 V, I cannot boot into windows.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to squeeze 30 more mhz out of my Opty 148? Would it help at all to lower the multiplier to 10x and try upping the FSB more?

Thanks!

Take a spin over to the 3GGG club...they will be able to help you squeeze out another 30mhz if it's there.

Anybody else here that has one these TEC's think that the LCD temps are flawed? I'm using Core temp to monitor the temp of my X2 4800 and each core is hotter than the temp show on the lcd. Core#0 idles @ 33C and core#1 idles at 38C. My voltage is 1.375v. I still do not understand the reason why the temps are soo different and why the temps are higher than what i expected.

Anybody else here that has one these TEC's think that the LCD temps are flawed? I'm using Core temp to monitor the temp of my X2 4800 and each core is hotter than the temp show on the lcd. Core#0 idles @ 33C and core#1 idles at 38C. My voltage is 1.375v. I still do not understand the reason why the temps are soo different and why the temps are higher than what i expected.

Those temps are a bit high...I would expect low to mid 20's at that voltage. May not be seated properly...

WEll i reseated the TEC just now and it sits flush with the CPU and everything is hooked up right but i still do not understand the constant 26-27C temp in the LCD. Also i have a 120MM fan blowing at the exhaust of the case and a 120mm blowing towards the TEC in the front of the case. So the air flow is pretty even; can't seem to find the little bug that's causing this fluctuation.