MS Flight Sim X

BergKatse

Just got Flight Sim X at my local Best Buy, don't know if it's a screw up and they put it on the shelves too early or Best Buy has a special deal but it appears to be available a week earlier than advertised (10/17/06 official date).

A reviewer on line said he could crank everything to max with an FX-60 and an ATI GPU so I'm wondering what I'll be able to squeeze out of the game with my X2 4400+ and SLI linked overclocked 7800 GTs. If the demo was anything to go by, not very much! (the demo was supposed to be buggy though).

It may be finally time to start overclocking the CPU. I've always worried I'm going to blow the system up (then what was the point of getting an expert mobo)

Any other flight sim geeks out there?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only tried the demo on my laptop so far, but with settings maxed out, I only got like 8-15 fps. I was disappointed in that, I was hoping it would run better than 2004. I'll have to read some reviews that compare the final version and demo to see if there's any major improvements.

MS Flight Sims are famous for their badly designed 3D engine... they always require a system twice as powerful as the most powerful available one to run above 30 fps... from what i have read this new one will make LOMAC look like IL2 Sturmovik in 3D engine and FPS, in other words really fast :)

Wow, someone at Best Buy f'd up :)

I cannot wait. I want it so much and everyone tells me to torrent it. Personally, I'd rather buy it for 60 bucks (well, 58) than wait for 2+ gigs to download over torrent system. :eek:

The demo seemed to work great on my PC but it crashed totally randomly twice. Might be those bugs mentioned above.

boo

I've not played any flight sims since Falcon 4.0 (and its community provided super packs), but this one's got me interested again.

Plus, this option's much more inexpensive and safe. I about went broke with just 20 hours of flight instruction, and accidents like today's in NY provide a reminder of how quickly things can go wrong.

I've been trying the full version out over the last few days, trying to find the "sweet spot" of graphics settings. However the settings I can get and have the game running smoothly make it look worse than FS2004 (which I can have everything set to the max even with better topology resolution than X (FS Global Textures - Special Ed) and some photorealistic scenery (Mega Scenery). I guess all the little extras like fancy trees and motor traffic (even though the traffic appears to be moving wheel axils) really grind my comp to a stop. At least now the water looks OK, in the demo the water looked awful.

I haven't played with SLI settings yet, I wonder if SLI anti-aliasing would help.

I'm loathed to uninstall FS9 (22GB on my HDD). I'll keep FSX on (15GB), its a good opportunity to finally start doing some overclocking........or I can swap it for an FX-62 before they run out of 939 chips.

• 2 weeks later...

Just downloaded the 30-minutes at a time Demo and I quite like it. I was surprised how smoothly I could actually run it considering the negativity it has received due to graphics overload. I am really thinking about purchasing the deluxe (traffic controller in there) and that is saying quite a bit since I usually play freeware games and purchase the price-bloated retail games very rarely.

boo