is SATA hot swappable

Hello,

Does anyone know if SATA drives are hot swappable, inasmuch as can I plug in power and SATA interface to a disk on a running system.

Brgds IMK

the 3114 is hot swap (but no remove hardware ) comes up..

you can plug in after windows in on. but when you want to remove them you must turn your machine off.

(or else data in the disk cache may not be flushed ) ie rename the volume on the esata hdd the remove it, plug it ack in (after a reboot) and see your changes not saved)

i know i have 3 esata units on.

also i dont have the unit on when i turn my machine on or else the boot order sequence changes in bios- it moovies my nvidia raid to last in sequence.

Guest Kobalt

All SATA is supposed to support hot-swap. It is in the specs. It has to do with drivers though. Nvidia's controller does have it. I guess the Si ones don't.

If you want to hot-swap, it is better to run the drives off a different power supply. Or else, you can damage your main PSU, since most PSUs don't expect that. (Though you could also wire a on/off switch to the HD...some say that works.)

All SATA is supposed to support hot-swap. It is in the specs. It has to do with drivers though. Nvidia's controller does have it. I guess the Si ones don't.

If you want to hot-swap, it is better to run the drives off a different power supply. Or else, you can damage your main PSU, since most PSUs don't expect that. (Though you could also wire a on/off switch to the HD...some say that works.)

via board (2 diff chipsets) hat support for ht swap- but motherboard makers did not put it on. msi+asus (my last boards) in manul (they said they not not put in the hot swap) (they removed it)

754 /939 sockwt via board....

x-craft esata says it has a hdd led for hdd activity, but (it only works in usb mode) in e-sata no hdd light.... (little piece of paper NOTICE) UPDATED BOX SPECS..