new processor advice

Slider

OK so turns out i might have to buy a new S939 processor...

sooo i need your guys' advice on what the best one for me would be.

My budget limit is 300$

Things I do:

Gaming

Photoshop

Obviously internet, email, word processing

use lots of interface programs such as window blinds, object dock, etc.

overclock

running liquid cooling

I was looking at the opterons, but i was wondering if it's just better to get a x2 3800, or should i just go all out and get the 4800 (280$ for a brand new one isnt too bad!). I heard the opterons overclock great as well so I'm just looking to get great overall performance and lowest price...

so with that in mind, what do you guys think? buy an opteron and overclock it to ungodly speeds (hopefully with some luck in stepping), or stick with the 4800, or save money and get the 3800 instead?

all opinions welcome!

yeah thats the thing my 4400 is possibly D.E.A.D DEAD!

yep I've tested it on 4 different boards and it ain't gonna fly so far, so for $300 looks like you could get another one, or an Opteron 170, or an inexpensive 3800+ that will easily hit 2500Mhz with your RAM (I've put the same combination in the OCDatabase I think), more on a divider if the 3800+ is good.

Opterons are supposed to be great overclockers so look around the forums too to see what the best steppings are and if there are any available for a small bit of money...and save the rest of your cash for something down the road ;)