Testing Ram for errors using MEMTEST86+

xirokx

xirokx...were you able to get memtest to loop? like tests 5 or 8? If so, how did you do it? i can't for the life of me get it to respond. I have it both on dvd (burned TO it, not ON it) correctly, and floppy. The latest version, too...1.65. Also the built in memtest won't give me the time of day.

It's really holding me up on my 'ocing, as i want to get on with it.

hey jaz i just enabled memtest from bios and let it run for 8hrs, i never actually let it loop...

i wouldnt know how to do that, sorry pal...

More importantly I reinstalled xp tonight, as my DFI can save bios's after loading up my rig I reverted back to the "overclocking settings" which were "primestable" for weeks...unfortunately the system restarted....

On a lighter note I got my windows ding sounds back ;)

so my question is:

can a system run for 3 - 4 weeks on a primed overclock which was stable for 23 hrs when priming, then suddenly stop playing ball?

all advice and suggestions are welcome

thanks in advance

if memtest wont load then you really have some ram issues....Or other issues...

I have a Via chipset board that will NOT boot memtest from a cd...havent figured it out yet...but that board has ram issues...

Memtest loads perfectly, and starts running immediately. And it will go through every test in order continuiosly unless i hit the esc key. It loads and works fine...i just can't get it to respond. And i have the latest version burnt TO a dvd correctly, and one i floppy. both behave (or not) the same way. The older built-in version does the same thing.

"can a system run for 3 - 4 weeks on a primed overclock which was stable for 23 hrs when priming, then suddenly stop playing ball?"

As far as i know, a system can pass many tests, but then get into windows, do something simple, like open notepad and crash. 'Ocing is an art I'm just starting to learn myself. I'm just recovering from a serious mistake i made a while back. it takes a while, from 1 week to several to get a system truly stable 'oc'ed. Takes patience and a lot of tweaking, rebooting and testing, then some. Someone with more experience than I have will probably answer your question better than i can. Good luck to you.

yeh i hear ya jaz as its new im asking to me im asking well this error anyway :) thanks mate

gmieroxx - will that work even if i reformatted?

please confirm

thanks in advance

appreciate all responses to date

cheers!!

Erm if you already reformatted, with no windows installation at all.. No-go..

Xirox, i actually had the same problem as yours..

It was so mysterious until i re-flash to a different bios version..

U've said that u already run prime stable with OC setting and stable for weeks??

I bet that u already run super pi 32test and occt succesfully before the prime..

Hope so.. it happens to me when i skip the super pi and occt but prime stable for 8-9 hours but later.. i had stability problems..

yes you can lose stability...try upping vcore just a tad.... is it still prime stabil....On blend...?

will try it later tonight....whats the max I should up vcore to? and not exceed?

Im not using that percentage thing you can use in the bios for extra vcore btw...

• 3 weeks later...
define what you mean by memtest loads and works but you cant get it to respond,,,?

yes you can lose stability...try upping vcore just a tad.... is it still prime stabil....On blend...?

Sorry for slow response Dr-bowtie, as i didn't see this thread for a while. I've enabled the (notify of response to post feature) that HG has added to the new board format. (nice, HG)!

Exactly that, I set boot order to floppy (or dvd) whichever media i choose to boot memtest with, It starts running tests automatically, then i press C-1-3-5-enter-0 or any command, Ive tried everycombination of commands, Even pressing all keys at the same time (which isn't the way it works,) but i tried everything. It just doesn't respond to anyinput i give it.

I have it on dvd and floppy, and I've even replaced my floppy drive (old one was dying anyway) and still didn't make a diffenrece. The dvd (cd) i burnt runs too, just doesn't resond to commands.

Now i use this first-->http://stealth17.dreamhosters.com/hosting/custom/, then run memtest for about 8 hours, which passed. I am now memtest and prime95-(23 1/2 hours I stopped it cuz movie came on i was dying to see.) but i ran it previously for 8 hours and it still passed.

I have all my settings @ stock in bios. I got them from a64 info and slowly entered them into bios, breaking them in with easy demos and benchies, then progressivly ran harder tests in between entering settings. So even though it won't respond, I found a stable work-around. And it worked, thanks to HG and very helpful board members. Also using the SEARCH button and found these programs.

The reason i posted this in lenght is for anyone else having the same problems. Any questions, let me know.