Testing Ram for errors using MEMTEST86+

xirokx

Hi,

I think I have some dodgy RAM on a another machine due to random restarts and some other issues...

Trouble is I have never tested RAM for failures or errors using memtest86+

I dont know what tests I should run or for how long....

Can someone kindly help me possibly talk me through like so its "fool proof" please?

Thanks in advance..

whats the diff if i just boot from cd and run it for 8 hours?

will it run test 5 and test 8 automatically then?

or are you saying just run both those tests first as they are the ones that really only test the RAM? please clarify...

are you saying just run both those tests first as they are the ones that really only test the RAM? please clarify...

Yes. Both of those tests work on the ram with minimal influence of the rest of the system. Verify the ram is not faulty before running the complete test.

whats the diff if i just boot from cd and run it for 8 hours?

nothing... it will just run all the test...

you can do it that way if you want to test it and just walk away for a while and not switch test....

I enabled MEMTEST86 in bios and then ran a test overnight (8 hours)

no errors...

I am assuming my RAM is fine then? Or is memtest not that reliable?

Problem is my overclock was stable for weeks then just I started getting random restarts, so I went back to stock settings and everything ran perfectly...

I guess you guys would suggest its a overclock issue? however is it possible for my overclock to be stable for weeks and then suddenly start playing up??

please advise

thanks in advance...

however is it possible for my overclock to be stable for weeks and then suddenly start playing up??

Very possible. You can try upping VCORE a bit and see if that helps. It could also be software related.

Windows could be corrupted or it could be other software. Lockups and unexpected restarts can hose the operation system. Other software can also cause the problem. An example. I'm currently testing some beta software. When I select one particular option I get a BSOD and the system reboots. Upon reboot the option is not selected. But after this happens Windows will either lock up or restart anywhere form bootup to several hours later. The only fix is to reload my drive image or lower the overclock.. So even though after the initial problem I no longer load the program the problem is still there. And I must stress that my system is 100% stable. The only time I have any issues is messing with settings or testing beta software. An overclocked system will not be as forgiving as a stock system with software errors

thanks for your response,

the reason i asked was because a few weeks ago i installed some video editing software with several codecs......since that time i notice:

a) no windows "dings" sound i.e. like the pop up blocked sound, or other little sounds we are used to

B) MSN messenger has no sound when using winks or nudging

c) no sound when visiting websites which have sound i.e. yourtube etc etc

although winamp works and i can watch movies without any troubles.

therefore i uninstalled the video editing software but the sound issues remain and then my system started to restart thereafter, before this time my overclock was stable as i had run all the necessary tests...

perhaps its time for a re-install?

thanks in advance...