XP install legality ?

distr0

Through my college and the microsoft MSDN program, i'm entitled to a copy of XP PRO at no cost.

I can get the CD key online and pick up the disc at the library, but all they do is burn a copy for me.

The problem is that i want to install it NOW, so my question is if i am safe from a legal standpoint by just downloading a ISO, burning it and using my valid CD key?

The thing with that is, it depends on the version of XP that your CD keys belongs too. If its an OEM version then it needs an OEM key code and same for Retail. I dont know what the legalities would be in that situation but I would just wait and get it from the library just to be sure. Since these places that have XP for download are pretty illegal anyway you never know if anything nasty will be burried in your download somewhere like a little trojan or virus that will relay your passwords or online purchases. If you are looking for something to use in the mean time you should try Vista RC1. big download but if you have a fast connection it comes at a good speed from MS. Simply a joy to use and I have had zero issues with games and software yet.

yeah, i just tried but it wouldnt accept the cd key anyways, so it must be the wrong version

i do have vista on my main pc, as well as XP 64 bit

i need this 32 bit xp install for a duron system i picked up that needs a OS

hmmm, i can order real discs of XP pro 32 AND 64 for $14 bucks with the cd keys, might as well just do that :D

Gotta love college work! I do some teaching every once in a great while for a college that is very high tech, and I get free CDs and codes for any new MS product update out there. They already have the "waiting list" signup for Vista discs. Too bad I can't request like 500 of the suckers...$40 for Vista, get yours here!!! heh

boo

Through my college and the microsoft MSDN program, i'm entitled to a copy of XP PRO at no cost.

I can get the CD key online and pick up the disc at the library, but all they do is burn a copy for me.

The problem is that i want to install it NOW, so my question is if i am safe from a legal standpoint by just downloading a ISO, burning it and using my valid CD key?

u dont happen to go to Humber College in toronto, do u? :P

tats where i get mine.........

i go to mohawk college in hamilton

i picked up the cd the other day and all is good now

where is this waiting list for vista? i can get rc1 from school but thats a free download anyways, i cant find anything about requesting a final release though....

Yep, last semester in my Windows Admin. 1 Class, I was able to score both a free copy of XP Pro SP2, but also a copy of Windows 2003 Server Standard SP1 (That's a fun OS to setup, and so much less overhead from the beginning than XP Pro.)

Too bad I already had purchased an OEM copy of XP Pro and Windows 2000 Professional about 2 years before hand. Out of spite, I still use my XP Pro Disk that I bought, that is a SP1a copy so I have to download/install a ton of updates right after the installation process is complete lol.