Quest for ultimate OC monster?

burntcircuit

Hello everyone!, new here...:O

I've been reading thru this forum for quite a while now , and just started building my new DFI dream machine. My first system was a Gigabyte GA7-VAXP, and still runnin to this day. I also had an abit NF7-S with an XPM2500+ (2.6Ghz), ahh those were the days:cool: Since then an A8N-E which was OK, but I have since sold it, which brings me to DFI and my quest for the ultimate OC monster.

This time around I am trying to put together the ultimate system with water cooling for OC'g, and dual core for editing video, and HD wide screen video for playing games and watching movies. This will be my main rig, which I am hoping to make dual boot, so that I can OC and still use it for day-day use without messing things up. Will that work, I hope so :D

Since some of the components will be coming from my old 939 system, I am hoping to reuse what I can and roll it into my new system. I already started on the WC a while ago, and some of the other stuff is undecided so I am hoping a few members here can help me out. If you look at my sig you will see what it looks like now, and some of the stuff that I need to decide on.

Hopefully I got my sig right :eek:

Anyhow thats it for now, great forum you have here...

Cheers!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to DFI-Street!

This thread would be best in the Recommendations section. I don't see any moderators on so I can't suggest you PM one of them.

Either way, you'll be happy when going with DFI.

If you don't already have the Powerstream, pickup either the 600 or 700w OCZ GameXStream

Also, if you want watercooling... look no further than Danger Den. They make top notch stuff and have really good support... I love my setup

You might also consider the SLI-DR Expert.

I have both the SLI-DR and the Expert and can honestly say I like the Expert better (improved my overclock by 100Mhz from the SLI-DR)

For a monitor, depending on how much you want to spend, two Dell 2007FPWs have been real nice for me.

For a single, larger display the Dell 2407WFP costs the same as the above monitors.

The mem. OCZ EL Platinum XTC PC4000 2X1GB CL3-3-3-8 Is it this mem

OCZ OCZP5002GXTC-K 2GB Kit DDR500 PC4000 Platinum XTC Edition. This is not knowen for big OC'ing numbers. even the OCZ techs. say it good for around 260MHz. I suggest you look at the overclocking data base and see which mem people are useing to get the big numbers

Welcome to DFI-Street!

This thread would be best in the Recommendations section. I don't see any moderators on so I can't suggest you PM one of them.

If you don't already have the Powerstream, pickup either the 600 or 700w OCZ GameXStream

Also, if you want watercooling... look no further than Danger Den. They make top notch stuff and have really good support... I love my setup

I have both the SLI-DR and the Expert and can honestly say I like the Expert better (improved my overclock by 100Mhz from the SLI-DR)

For a monitor, depending on how much you want to spend, two Dell 2007FPWs have been real nice for me.

For a single, larger display the Dell 2407WFP costs the same as the above monitors.

Whoa Yea that is one nice setup UncleDavid218, you must have won the lottery or something LOL. I had to look twice that case is huge, and is that a 3X120 rad on the top? The two two Dell 2007FPWs are really sweet :eek:

BTW thanks for the thread on the gamestream PSU that will hopefully help me fill out some of the missing pieces.

I'll do some more reading, Thanks.

Personaly I would recomend the GamersX over the Powerstreem for nearly any system. It can handle more than nearly all of the other PSU's.

I would just get the Ultra D/DR unless you want to play with high volt memory which seems to have lost it's appeal.

Dont get too excited about memory overclocks if the memory runs at normal speeds it should be fine faster memroy does give more flexabilty but with the super low latency of the AMD 64 there is very little performance gain if any. Dividers are not deadly like with Intel and old 32 platforms. That memory you have should be fine though check the database.

one thing to condiser is Raid 0 very nice performance boost on the NF4 chipset. My Hitachi's seem sligtly faster for boot than the seagates for this.(lots of small optimised files in the boot sector).

I would go with the GameXtream instead of the PowerStream. As for as memory any of the OCZ/Mushkin PC4000 2x1GB kits. As already stated overclocking the memory isn't important. Here is a recent post I did with Redlines running at 250 and 275. The only setting that was changed was the divider. Basically no difference in performance. Also as previously stated with the availability of today's memory an Expert board is really not needed. The above stated monitors are all good choices as is the Viewsonic VX2025WM.

Welcome to DFI-Street!

Show off............I hate you.

The GameXStream is the most highly recommended PSU on the forum these days by far :)

As of now (On Newegg anyways) it costs ten or twenty dollars less than the Powerstream, though I'm sure prices are different in Canada

I did some checking around, and the GameStream 600W is about $150 as compared to the Powerstream 520W which is $140 bucks. Unfortunately the GameStream does not seem to be available right now at NCIX which is where I get most of my stuff from.

Q: If I can't get a GameStream right away do you think I could start with the PowerStream for now with one GPU and the other components listed. Would this be enough or am I just wasting my time?

BTW, I don't mind buying the Powerstream for now and upgrading later, as I have another system I am building for family, and could just roll it into that system. Its a bit overkill for what they are doing, but they would get are really nice PSU. Just a thought, Thanks!