975 oc'ing mini guide

raju

Great story Chump. Sounds like you're having fun.

I have been trying different BIOS settings, pretty much copying the set-ups from the "O.C. Guide", to get past the 350 FSB wall that I have. Your post pretty much solidifies what I've been thinking as my system keeps failing to load the 350+ FSB settings - that is it must be my PSU. I know my Antec should have enough juice on paper, but it realistically is not giving enough power to boot. Example: after inputting the O.C. settings in Genie Bios, saving via F10, the system shuts down then power turns back on with the CPU fan running and all other fans running and lit up, then a clicking starts, but the screen stays black and no starting - Like when your car battery is dead: the starter clicks, but won't turnover. I also have to manually shut down, unplug PSU, reset via CMOS, then start back up and everything works fine under default settings. So, I'm thinking its the PSU. Agree?

I ran the Stress Prime 2004 Orthos test at the O.C. that I last had working before going up to 350 FSB, which was 327FSB @2.616Ghz and the tests all passed. But if I'm not mistaken, that test is a for CPU and Ram - right? So, it doesn't let me know if my PSU is faulty.

I am also thinking about replacing my RAM to a 2x1GB kit - my buget is about $250, so DDR2 6400 800Mhz seems about right- just trying to decide on which brand and specs: OCZ ATI or Platinum Revision 2 or Corsair XMS2 or Crucial...? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Funny thing, I was just about to order the OCZ 700W also as there's a rebate offer now + Zipzoomfly.com offers free shipping. How do you like yours?

-Baja Bummed::(

The black screen with the fans going & the hard drives clicking is exactly what I was getting it’s basically the bios not re setting itself as it should. Sometimes manually switching off & or unplugging the power cord & powering on again allowed you to boot again until the next reboot & it happened all over again.

I do still get this problem around 435FSB but that’s more than enough horse power to run with everybody else in the OCDB so I am happy.

The cold boot problem is somehow linked to my graphics card because if I pull the 6800 out & put in a 6200 turbo cache it boots again hell maybe even 700w isn’t enough who knows!!!

Stress prime is a great program for testing CPU & RAM stability it doesn’t specifically test the PSU but to run a system at 100% for 8-24 hours I would say it’s a pretty good bet the PSU would be ok.

I don’t yet have any nice low latency RAM I am using the cheapest DDR2 800mhz stuff I could find just to get it going until I work out where I wanted to run the RAM & at what speed.

I was looking at G.Skills 1066mhz 4.4.4.5 (F2-8500PHU2-2GBHZ) stuff but its mega expensive in the UK £350 + so I will wait a bit longer until the price drops.

I would really like to run on the next divider/strap 666mhz really just to get my memory bandwidth up above what I was getting on my old Opteron system.

I do like the OCZ 700W PSU but I have noticed a lot of transistor noise from it with this 975/E6600 setup I don’t know 100% whether that’s the board or the PSU making all the noise yet but I will investigate it further when I have some spare time.

I have also just got an E6300 to play with which I think I will leave in this 975 board when I get hold of a DFI LP ICFX3200 RD600 board again when the price drop a bit.

EDIT

I am playing with the E6300 at the moment & my board with lots of chipset voltage runs happy all the way up to 475FSB so I am happy the board is not going to hold my E6600 back.

The transistor noise is the motherboard 100%

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Please help! Can it really be that my board wont go past 369?

Bios is 12/01/06 and board revision is B2, sticker on LPT says R.BA0 if it helps.

Last FSB which booted to windows is 369 and last stable is 350. Gave 150.0mV to CPU and 1.75 to NB and no help. Memorys are running with 1:1 so that aint problem either. This really cant be this bad MB. This bios havent all of those OC. freatures which my old bios had, is that right? It doesnt have the "OC.Mode" option and no multiplier option either?

Im afraid to flash those beta bioses cause i tried to flash beta bios with WinFlash and it gave an error. And ive never flashed without WinFlash and i dont even have floppydrive.

Now help what should i change to get it boot with over 375 (3GHz is my goal, then im happy) Ive disabled C1E, theres something else what i need to change?