My parents say I have challenged myself enough

Evil_inc

Some places use a 5.0 scale instead of a 4.0 scale. So a perfect for them would be 5.0

What, you get a point for getting an F? That makes little/no sense...

But yeah i've heard of that before, kinda rare though isn't it? Or maybe it's a state thing...

It's a grading scale. A 4.00 is theoretically perfect, though some schools are idiotic and allow for better than that.

A = 90-100% = 4 pts

B = 80-89% = 3 pts

C = 70-79% = 2 pts

D = 60-69% = 1 pt.

F = <60% = 0 pts.

Different points are allocated for lower A's, like a 92% might be 3.66 points or some such thing, depends on the grading scale of the school. Essentially then you average out the points for each class over the entire time in school and get your GPA.

Of course it's somewhat meaningless since some schools are way tougher than others. Anybody under a 3.0 at mine is either the laziest piece of crap or actually mentally handicapped. Then there's other schools where getting a 3.0 is a lot of work. Kinda pointless if you ask me, unless schools were all equal.

Well, I wouldn't say idiotic. In today's day and age, and speaking from a fresh high school graduate, I think its necessary to ahve over 4.00. The reason is because there are so many advanced classes now, AP, IB, Gifted, Honors. Its simply not fair that a person that takes all easy classes gets a higher GPA. So because of this, any GPA's are on a weighted scale with AP and IB classes getting a higher weight. My Real GPA is around a 3.9 but my weighted GPA was a 4.2 which was higher than the salutorian of my class. She only took 1 AP classes, her weighted GPA was 4.15.

Unfortunately, my school did not do class rank on weighted GPA and she still beat out many people.

Well, I wouldn't say idiotic. In today's day and age, and speaking from a fresh high school graduate, I think its necessary to ahve over 4.00. The reason is because there are so many advanced classes now, AP, IB, Gifted, Honors. Its simply not fair that a person that takes all easy classes gets a higher GPA. So because of this, any GPA's are on a weighted scale with AP and IB classes getting a higher weight. My Real GPA is around a 3.9 but my weighted GPA was a 4.2 which was higher than the salutorian of my class. She only took 1 AP classes, her weighted GPA was 4.15.

Unfortunately, my school did not do class rank on weighted GPA and she still beat out many people.

Ah its all overrated...once your out of college and in the work place, your GPA wont mean jack...No one wants to know your GPA once you get your job...they just want to know your interested and motivated to do a good job...and that you can work with people...

My roomate has a 3.9 GPA...civil engineer...not easy to get...I have a 2.8 (Electrical Engineer)....I got a great Co-op job infact I was offered a job by the 5 companies that interviewed me...However he was turned down by 6 different companies...and ended up with a job he hates...

I know I got a little off topic...but either way...GPA is important up to a certain point, after a while numbers are just numbers...If your a good, honest, hardworking person you will be fine...

I got a 4.6 in HS and still wasn't the top of my class, despite all A's (was 3rd). Our Validictorian took 10 Art classes at our community college (each of which was a weighted score). As a result she got a 4.75 or something rediculous like that. She still only got a 1200 on her SATs and I got 1480 (I sucked on english). Anyway, Im at USC (Go trojans) and got to choose between USC, UCLA, Berkeley, Penn, and NorthWestern.

Chose USC to keep it ghetto :-P (its in a really bad neighborhood in south central). But thanks to my hard work in High school, I came in ahead of most of my classmates. Now I have a 3.7 GPA here.

The most important thing you will learn in hs is work ethic. If you become a good learner in high school (study hard & not only complete every assignment, but MASTER every assignment) you will be successful in college. If you are a good, disciplined learner, you will do fantastically in college. GPA is just a number.

I cared about my highscool gpa at one point when I was in that. They gave out 1k to every student who achieved the honors deploma (might be just an indiana thing) The state gives each school 1k for a student that graduates with that. My old high used to just give the money to the kids. Which was really nice. The year I graduated they changed it so the school kept the money. I could have graduated a year early but stayed on because I wanted the money lol, which I never got. My last trimester in fact, I just kinda went to school for entertainment only. I was going to graduate with at worst a 3.0 even if I did terrible in all those classes lol.

My college gpa is important I imagine for the duration that I am in college, after that it is expirence, skills and motivation. Unless you are specificly trying to get into a master's program or seminary or equivelents its not that important once your done with college.

There are many smart people with 4.0's that are idiots with common sence for example lol