Watercooling my $19.99 case (t_ski's version)

Thanks Carl. We do what we have to when we're on a small budget. I would love one of those bigazz Stacker or Lian Li's, but there's no way I can afford one of them. My last case was nice for $50, but it didn't quite have the room to support the rad. I bought the 360 on a whim ($42.50 for it unused), but it didn't fit the case so I bought this one. Then I modded it to fit the 360, but the X-flow just wasn't fitting right. The good part is I sold the x-flow on ebay for more than I paid for it, and I was able to upgrade to the dual-flow.

The case itself is not really that bad, but it's all a matter of a poor combination. Any other mobo that didn't have the ATX connector in the top right would have worked better. A smaller rad like a 240 would have eliminated so much trouble. Not having the 120's in the side where they are, or having the raid array, or using the X1900XT in the top slot would all make things a bit easier. Even now as I think about getting another case I still have many of these same issues to contend with.

And Carl, there is a drawback to opening up the shelf below the PSU. If I crank up the Tt fans on the rad I notice that the chipset temp starts to climb. I'm thinking now of adding a baffle above the PSU and extending it to the front panel, which would help to force the air out the back.

I still have a few more things I'd like to do for this case. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to make the Insignia on the right panel glow when I turn the lights on, but I may be cursed by the size and position of the cuts to work it well enough. I also have not gotten to do what I wanted with the left panel's window, but that involved the glow effect as well. I also would like to create a faceplate for the unused 5.25" bays, but I haven't decided what should go there yet.

And of course, while all this has been going on I've had school to deal with (mid-terms coming up), the remodeling project (2nd bath) has not seen any action lately, and I've been neglecting my hardware reviewing for TechPowerUP.com. At least I don't have a job to contend with. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SVC has these cases back in stock, but they're $24.95 now. After seeing what t_ski and sound have done with theirs I pulled the trigger on one. It's wheeling it's way to the Frozen Tundra as we speak. I plan to use some of the ideas you two guys used in your builds plus some other ideas. I figure with any luck I should have it done by Christmas, in time for a good freezing day to make a run at GGG. Except for the cost of shipping here from the left coast, I really like WI for overclocking. I can almost heat my home off of some good OC'ing. I'll post some completed pics when I'm done.

Mr. Novi

(now all I need is another job to pay for all of the hair-brained ideas I have planned for this rig, hehehe)

Make sure you start a thread and keep us posted with lots of pics.

I plan to (unless I really botch it up). Right now I'm still in the planning stages and looking for the right accessories and bling to do it right (expecially the fans). And, I have to find film for my old RollieCord Twin Lens Reflex to take the pics. My cell phone takes lousy pics.

Which board are you gonna put in there?

The Lanparty UT NF3 Ultra-D. I have other plans for the NF2 Ultra Infinity as I have another old full tower case laying around that I can play with.

Mr. Novi

The Lanparty UT NF3 Ultra-D. I have other plans for the NF2 Ultra Infinity as I have another old full tower case laying around that I can play with.

Just keep in mind that the 3.5" cage covers the top right corner of the board. I don't remember seeing the NF3 board, but my NF4 Ultra D has the power connector up there, which caused some issues.

Just keep in mind that the 3.5" cage covers the top right corner of the board. I don't remember seeing the NF3 board, but my NF4 Ultra D has the power connector up there, which caused some issues.

The 3.5 drive cage is coming out for an additional front intake fan (much like Sound's setup). I have other plans for the two hard drives and floppy disk. I won't know for sure until I get the new case later this week and measure everything to see how things fit exactly what I'll be doing. Once I get it I may end up putting the NF2 in the new case and the NF3 in the other case.

Right now my biggest problem is finding the fans I want. I have been buying my fans from 1CoolPC for years, but they seem to have closed. :( Oh well, I'll have more time to search Thurs and Fri (my days off).

Now if I can only find my sabre saw. :D

TTFN

Mr. Novi

I'm assuming you won't have sufficient room to mount the drives in the top of the case.

You may want to think about mounting the HDDs parallel to the sides of the case on their side.

There is enough clearance on each side and the front fans should keep the undersides cool and still not interfere with case air flow.

At the risk of people laughing at this crazy old coot I'd recommend you pickup some 3M 4011 double side tape and place it on one side of the HDDs.

That will isolate the drives from the case floor and I can assure you they won't be going anywhere.

I had looked at mounting two drives in RAID 0 in an upright manner towards the front of the case so I could hide the cables and power connectors.

Link to the SVC build is below my signature for more photos.

It can be a lot of work but it is a lot of fun.

Hey guys - can you do me a favor?

I'm an old fart going back to school after being out of it for 15 years. One of my classes is Web Page Design. We each have to do a project where we create and publish our own webpage. Can you guess what mine's about?

http://people.consolidated.net/kracinski/

Some of the stuff may look familiar. Please LMK if there are any errors and such, but the format will probably stay the same. TIA

the site looks alright, but you could fancy it up a bit. Ditch the back background, or only use it on the first page. Change the font. Center the pics/text on the other pages. you can also put that "todd's mods" pic on the home page to the others if you wanna back track to it.

dont take this advice too critically, I'm no web designer, but those are the changes that I'd make... if I had to know-how to make a good html website.

Thanks for looking guys. Mostly I need to know if there are are errors or browser incompatibilities. I've messed with it for too long to totally change the whole thing. I've got other projects that are going to need all the time I can afford them... :(