Initial build - then what?

Tomorrow - the yellow links in my sig shal be green :)

I'm starting my build with a crappy 9250 radeon untill I get a new one.

...anyway...

OK, so I do the initial build. Get everything hooked up outside the case. I put one of my RAM sticks in and see if it boots. Turn it off, swap with the other one and see if it boots. Then do I put everything in the case with TWO ram sticks in - then run memtest? Or do I do one at a time?

Also, which tests should I do first? I've searched around and found plenty of suggestions for people having problems (#5 and #8 for 20 hops if memory servs correct) but can I just run all of them overnight?

But - before I do this should I input the "stable stock speed" bios settings for my memory? or is that after?

Once all of that is done and everything checks out - I make sure it's Prime95 stable, then SuperPI stable?

Thank you.

My 2 cents.

It's recommended to run memtest on the sticks individially then together in dual channel. In practice, many people run the memtest on one, then add the 2nd. If no problems, then you're good to go.

I run all tests for 8 hrs. when I do a new build.

Do Prime last - this is the most strenuous test.

Good luck with the build!

You could run all tests overnight, thats fine. I'd save Prime til last. Since you're going to be working with PC4000, I'd suggest finding a FSB and multiplier that will allow you to stay close to stock speed on that CPU while trying to hit a 250FSB for the RAM to hit it's stock DDR500. Test thoroughly on that.

It's recommended to run memtest on the sticks individially then together in dual channel. In practice, many people run the memtest on one, then add the 2nd. If no problems, then you're good to go.
I have never heard that before.

You could run all tests overnight, thats fine. I'd save Prime til last. Since you're going to be working with PC4000, I'd suggest finding a FSB and multiplier that will allow you to stay close to stock speed on that CPU while trying to hit a 250FSB for the RAM to hit it's stock DDR500. Test thoroughly on that.
On a new pc never run memtest or any test overnight, should there be a serious problem you will not be there to turn it off/cut the power.

Never start overclocking until the pc is 100% ready and you know what you are doing.

Run all the tests.

Leave all your memory settings on AUTO.

Never heard what before, exactly?

I think he ment testing one stick, then the other, then both. Sharp, I assume you are suggesting I just test them both at once.

1) I'm not overclocking in the near future - later I will, but not now.

2) I fully plan on making sure everything is stable before I go forward. That is why I am here.

My question about the "Stable stock settings" still hasn't been answerd. And I still don't know if I should plug one memory stick at a time or both at once.

Why can't I run it overnight? What could go wrong? It could come up with errors... or worse case scenario it freezes. I've read about plenty of people runing it overnight.

My shipment should arrive within an hour or two.

The way I understood it,

Test with 1 stick, then add the other without memtesting it.

Test with 1 stick at a time.

Stock stable settings = Auto.

Unless it does not work, you do not need to adjust anything.

What could go wrong?

- PSU could start smoking

- Something could get to hot

- Something may cause a short.

When I run Memtest, I run Tests #5 and #8 ten passes each and then run all of the tests together. From what I have read, Test #5 is most likely to give you errors. WhY? I don't know,:confused: but if someone who knows more than me says so, I at least consider it.