XFX 7900GT Modification

Okay, i've done the VGPU Volt mod from 1.2v to 1.5v and got the GPU from 520MHz (Stock) to 675MHz. Now for the memory i shaded that specific resistor with a #2 pencil from 2.02v (stock) to 2.11v and hit 860Mhz from 750MHz (stock). Now the problem is that i'm using the Forceware 84.21 drivers and the 2d/3d settings aren't working correctly. The 3d is set to 675/860 and the 2d is 520/860 but i don't want the memory to stay at that frequency and whatever i've tried the damn thing won't boost back to 750 on 2d mode, WTF!!!!!!!!

I don't understand why you said the memory issue is from a BIOS LOCK.

untitleduf9.th.jpg

You can clearly see that the 2D/3D are @520/1500(750MHz) but CoolBits still has the memory at 860MHz. I don't want to change that setting because it wouldn't make any sense unless i'm wrong. Also notice the red dots around the screen, that's the memory overclocked at 2d mode (not good). Also when i open the bios it states the current bios is unknown to Nibitor. But the Generation is set at Geforce 7 series, strange...

I'm using the 2.6v...hmm....

It's probably a good idea to keep memory speeds identical acrossed the tables.

2d is'nt hard to do though bw, it's 3d that's hard on the card.

You can actually use alot less vcore on the card for 2d and clock it to identical core speeds as 3d.

That would be up to you to figuer out however.

Just a heads up though, ensure you keep idle and 3d at the same speed, for core.

The card does wierd stuff without those 2 being the same.

Logging errors and temperary locks(hitches) when they are'nt identical.

Upload you vga's bios here and I can tell you all the speeds from all 4 tables.

And lable them as well, 2d, 3d, 3d idle, and low power...

Edit:

Also keep in mind that pencil mods generally last about a month I guess before they start to crap out.

Here is the stock Bios for the XFX 7900GT Extreme (520/1500)

UPDATE: Okay, i've already played Prey, COD, and 675/850 looks good. The problem is when i return to the desktop (2d mode) i get small dots (artifacts) since my memory is still at 850MHz with only 2.02v (not sure...). So what do you have for me? I want to heard the good news first... :P

Ok, gimme a min here to find the tables and find my old notes...

XFX7900(STOCK).rom

crc32: DED71B3E

This is how I found it:

String: KDASHARE

Offset: DC74-DC7B

:), It's been this way at least since the 6600gt..., very easy find.

(Ends the table With "MK", as in Mortal Kombat(My litle joke...) lmao..., I swear once ina while..., some windows serials have MK in them, lol...)

Ok this has been some time so bare with me...

There's a few thing up top here that I won't beable to find until after I map this table out, it's been along time so I can't find it by eye anymore, I made 2 bin's out of the tables(an old one of mine for ref for me, and your's, so I can find it by eye...).

Ok here goes:

2D Fan Speed:

Offset: DD20h

Value: 14h (20%, it's in DEC)

2D Core Voltage:

Offset: DD21h

Value: 78h

Umm lemme figuer that one out...

82 = 1.3v

8C = 1.4v

78 = 1.20v

79 = 1.21v

7A = 1.22v

7B = 1.23v

7C = 1.24v

7D = 1.25v

7E = 1.26v

7F = 1.27v

80 = 1.28v

81 = 1.29v

Ahh, ok, it's 1.2v for 2D Core Voltage :).

:)

2D Core Speed:

Offsets: DD22h-DD23h

Value: 0802h (0208h, you gotta byte swap it...)

C201 (01C2) [450Mhz]

F401 (01F4) [500Mhz]

2602 (0226) [550Mhz]

5802 (0258) [600Mhz]

Hmm...

It's above 500mhz...

Lol hehehe, I dn lmao.

I don't think I've ever counted this one by hand before.

I can try though.

Oh, ok this is easy, it's DEC :).

:D

It's 520Mhz for 2d Core speed ;).

Now to find the next part of this thing...

2D Memory Speed:

Offsets: DD27h-DD28h

Value: EE02h (02EEh, 750Mhz)

Ok this is easier now since I got used to it a bit....

:

3D Fan Speed:

Offset: DD50h

Value: 32h (50% ^^, WTF!....., not a good way to go for a vga card builder unless it was fanless..., then it would be better to use 00h..., /me slaps XFX in the face with this one...)

3D Voltage:

Offset: DD51h

Value: 78h (again 1.2v, wierd)

3D Core Speed:

Offsets: DD52h-DD53h

Value: 0802h (0208h, again 520Mhz)

Wierd...

3D Memory Speed:

Offsets: DD57h-DD58h

Value: EE02h (02EEh again, 750Mhz memory)

3D Idle Fan Speed:

Offset: DD80h

Value 64h (100%)

3D Idle Core Voltage:

Offset: DD57h

Value 00h (?, 0 I guess)

3D Idle Core Speed:

Offsets: DD82h-DD83h

Value: 2C01h (012Ch, 300Mhz)

3D Idle Memory Speed:

Offsets: DD87h-DD88h

Ok...

Next one, final table.

This one I BELIEVE is Low Power, not quite sure, never really got the chance to figuer it out.

I think it is though.

The above 3 are correct however...

It's just this one I have to mess around with and figuer out someday...

Low Power? Fan Speed:

Offset: DDB0h

Value: 64h (100%)

Low Power? Core Voltage:

Offset: DDB1h

Value 0 (again who knows, I'm betting it's null and invalid)

Low Power? Core Speed:

Offsets: DDB2h-DDB3h

Low Power? Memory Speed:

Offsets: DDB7h-DDB8h

Ok that's the generic's of it, let me figuer out how it's setup now.

Hmm

Performance Levels:

Offset: DD13h

Value: 02h

00 = 0

01 = 1

02 = 2 (2D & 3D)

03 = 3 (2D & 3D & Idle 3D)

04 = 4?(2D & 3D & Idle 3D & ???)

So you only have 2D and 3D ;), hence why 3d idle and the other one are invalid ;) ;).

However, that does'nt excuse the fan speed problem.... ^^

You don't run a fan off the vga fan header do you?, if you do, you can improve stability(voltage and temp wise) by powering it another way....

Lets check one more offset, see if I can't find it.

It's right around in here somewhere...

Ok found her :), sure about it too.

Temperture Monitor:

Offset: DCC9h

Value: 00h (Enabled)

10h and FFh = Disabled btw, I dn what other values would do...

Does this seem right to you?

It's probably a good thing they tossed out 3d idle, neat idea..., it messed up big time when it was diffrent then 3d speed.

Probably the PLL...., I have some recent experience with that sucker.

As for memory voltages, I wish I knew man, I wish I knew.

It's probably right in my face too.

However I never knew the ref voltages for my mem on my 6600gt when I had it, so I never got a chgnage to figuer that one out, a shame.

you can overvolt a bit by bios btw, the core...

However, kep at what you're doing for the time being anyways lol.

I don't want to confuse you with my mumbo jumbo.

Just show you what the bios does.

Notes:

When you startup, you run off 2d speed and voltages.

Once you get into windows, it broadens the tables, expandes them into whatever it wants.

Using what it has setup int he bios for them as ref, however, it doe'snt have to abide by them.

For oc'ing, ie testing using windows.

I recomend using rivatuner.

Change it's pref's though to allow idle clock changing and stuff like that, and disable the clock tests.

I'm afraid the only way to test the oc is by eye and such, coolbits and rt's clock tests are majorally flawed in certain ways.

And coolbits outright lies depending on the cercumstances(it does'nt want you to oc).

Edit:

Does it artifact when you oc before you game?

Or just after you exit 3d apps?

If so I'd like to get dumps of some reg's to get an idea if something is getting messed up, the DACs specifically.

I'll wait for you answer and suggestions 1st however.

As I can re-program the memory's DAC btw using reg settings....

I re-read through the thread to try to get a better idea of what you want to happen.

Ok.

Rivatuner I belive does'nt allow you to setup seperate 2d and 3d emmory clocks(or seperate meory clocks period for that matter).

I'm unsure of coolbit's because I only messed(played) with it a few times off and on with the newer type of cards(I normally don't use it at all even for older cards).

There is a way to disable the auto overclock thing.

Stuff like that, and enable temp monitor in the control panel.

I don't know to much about it, cpl stuff is'nt hard to figuer out, but the actual aoverclock settings are encrypted using one reg setting called...

Hmm, a moment...

Just for ref, to show you what I know of them so far:

I don't remember the location for these though, not hard to figuer out.

"Bart" Dword = BIOS default Clock Speeds

"George" Dword = ? Still Exist?, Was Supposed To Be Restriced To Off

"Geraklit" Dword = ?

"Gesiod" Dword = OverClocking Enable

"Gracie" Dword = ? Still Exist?, Was Supposed To Be Restriced To Off

"Homer" Dword = Encryption Flags

"Krusty" Dword = User defined Clock Speeds

"Lisa" Dword = Turn Off Warning Dialog

"Marge" Dword = Overclocking Enable / What Does it Mean Now?

This is what I found before the above(before I had src code for a very old driver):

"Marge" dword

1 = apply clks at startup

0= disabled

"Geraklit"

"Gesiod"

1= no oc

2= man oc

"Krusty"

Mem oc?

As you can see, I don't know much lol.

Plus these are all encrypted via the Homer setting ^^.

Could be more, these you can't find in the driver files for some odd reason but yet they are there somewhere, probably scrambled or encrypted in some way....(I mean, the setting names are encrypted, so the lookup table for them are encrypted...)

Blah blah blah.

Anyways lets get down to business.

I sorta doubt you're gonna get seperate mem clocks.

It's possible, and possible to doit by hand using the bios.

However, I don't really reccomend that.

I could doit..., but would it work?, I don't really know for sure.

2d and 3d mem clocks aught to work at the same speed.

I mean, the memory voltage aught to be identical.

There is 2 things I can think of.

I assume you are measureing it's vmem somehow.

So, take measurements of vmem while in 3dmode and in 2d mode.

I reccomend using rivatuner's graph function thingy to check to see if you actually switched modes.

You'll see the mem and core speeds change ;) (A graph of it :) ).

So when you check it, check bacjk with rivatuner to ensure you actually tested 2 diffrent modes :).

If you have 2 diffrent voltages for memory.

I would assume the memory voltage, the resistor you penciled, is used for both 2d and 3d memory clocks of course.

Same layout if you get what I mean, same path.

So if there's a diff in voltage, it's not on the card pysically(I'm betting 99.9%), it's in the bios then.

So if you can give me ref's for those, I could check them out, maybe even find them.

Ie: 2.02v (stock) to 2.11v (:).

Then again I dn, but it's worth checking, I would doit in a heartbeat lol...

My 2nd idea of what may be going on.

Well.

Maybe, just maybe, the pll multiplier is setup wrong for the clocks that you're using.

The idea is this.

(Mind you it's been about a month or more since I messed with a pll and dac on a nvidia card).

The dac, crystal and pll and multiplier thingys...

Well, you feed off a single clock, this clocks is divided and multiplied into:

Core, Memory, and Display(display as in how the refresh rate is made up of).

Now, say you have 2 seperate core speeds, 2d and 3d.

That ref clock(not the crystal), has to be multiplied/divided into memory and core and display.

Now, if the core is setup at a certain mhz, certain things change.

Like the ref clock.

If it did'nt change into the correct multiplier for memory, it could be running, instead of say 750mhz mem, it could be infact running 1000mhz mem instead.

Or...

It could be running 200mhz ^^.

Stuff like that.

Like I said, I have limited experience with it :.

And it's been a while, so I can't give exact example's.

There is a way to check however, and it's very simple to do.

Unlike reading my post lmao :) (Yes I know my posts get, well, eek like).

Lemme figuer it out real quicky...

Under the Graphics Subsystem Report, in rivatuner.

Check the box: NVIDIA specific display adapter information

Uncheck all other boxes.

Close that windows and re-open it, the report function in rivatuner.

Now copy and paste this info in a text imediatly after overclocking(right after you boot freshly).

Where it's still running the desktop ok(I assume it is).

$ffffffffff ---------------------------------------------------

$ffffffffff NVIDIA specific display adapter information

$ffffffffff ---------------------------------------------------

$0100000000 Graphics core : NV25 revision A3

$0100000001 Hardwired ID : 0258

$0100000002 Memory bus : 128-bit

$0100000003 Memory type : DDR (RAM configuration 0c)

$0100000004 Memory amount : 131072KB

$0100000005 Core clock : 300.375MHz

$0100000006 Memory clock : 99.563MHz (199.125MHz effective)

$0100000007 Reference clock : 27.000MHz

$0100000008 Maximum Fvco : 900.000MHz

$0100000009 Core PLL Fvco : 600.750MHz

$010000000a Memory PLL Fvco : 398.250MHz

This is an example of my old quadro4, a broken one, but an example none the less.

This is the type of info you're looking for.

Then, save that text.

Load upa game, game for a while or whatever, and then exit(ensureing you have that corruption problem again in 2d, the desktop.

Then do the above again, and paste below what you allready had.

They aught to be identical.

They should be.

But then again, if they're not, then there's a problem.

I'd like to see it regardless btw....(just to see your ref clocks and such, stuff like that, for personal knowledge).(err FVCO's... I mean)

I can possibly fix it if there's a problem too.

Without modding a bios.

However, if this is the problem, you would have to take one small step when installing the driver to ensure it installs under a certain registry section, if that's the case though I can explain it simply and make the job easy by running a simple reg file just before you install the driver.

Offtopic, interesting I think anyways.

It dawned on me when I posted the 1st or 2nd time, that I may beable to fix the issues people have with agp boards with newer cards....

See, my problems went away when I made 3d and 3d idle speeds identical with each other.

However getting others to doit, just wou'dnt work because poeple don't listen lol :).

That or don't know how(rivatuner...).

Now though, I remmeber a reg setting I found recently.

Something called Glitch Free Multiplier Clock.

When you set it to 0 (Enabled?, I think it's either backwards for value's or it does the oppiset of what it's supposed to).

Anyways, when I experiemented with it, I found that 0 was best.

I forked my fvco up on purpose right...

Well, I then Chnaged up my core and mem clocks over and over and over, when it was'nt present, the setting, or setup as 1, it would lock sometimes.

Making say the start button not work in windows and stuff like that, yet I could move my mouse, just could'nt do anythign though.

But when on 0, it rarely locked like that, and when it did, it was very brief.

The other post reminded me how my 6600gt would hitch like that, not in that cercumstance, but very simluer.

It makes me wonder if I can fix that witha simple reg setting lol...

Told ya it was offtopic.... ^^

Anyways, if you wou'dnt mind.

Take some measurements of vmem again.

And possibly, check out rivatuner, use it's graphs to find you true speeds, also possibly check out the info dumping tool thingy in it ;).

The previous post was just to show you what the bios sets you up as.

If you really want to try it, I can mod the bios for you, and you don't need to fix the checksum in order to flash it either.

however, I would do that only as a last resort, it's not that it's dangerous, but I don't really want to take you down that road.

I can doit np, if you really think that's what you want to do.

The 1st thing though would be to check out what I said above though.

Rivastuner is a good tool, at least for dumping info and overclocking, not a great tool for tweaking but hey :) (it would be for the majority of peeps out there I guess though).

I dont' really recomend using coolbits, the reason is because it lies like I said.

Sure it works, and the auto detect clocks can work somewhat ok(It's really strange though), but I have seen the driver it's self blantently lie about clocks being unstable(because of the perfomance level's being diffrent from each other, diffrent from what the bios set that is).

A buddy of mine seen the same thing on his card before too, without modding his bios.

That's why I also recomend disabling the clock check in rivatuner as well, as it can keep you in a dangerous clock speed range :(.

Okay, i've uninstalled RivaTuner (Didn't like it very much and it SUCKS). Dude using the ATI cards are so much easier! Why does the 2D and 3D frequencies for ATI work properly and not on the nVIDIA cards? Am i missing something? Oh yeah, crazy posts man, thanks a million (if i was a women i'd marry you you geek). :P

Okay, these are IDLE voltages:

GPU Voltage: 1.5v

Memory Voltage: 2.15v

Note: Another thing, when i change the two profiles for 2d to 3d the Core Frequency changes from 520(2d) to 675(3d) and the memory is at 850MHz (like it was on 2d mode) hmm....

Okay, now these are the LOAD voltages:

GPU Voltage: 1.5v (the same)

Memory Voltage: 2.16 (it fluctuates because going back to 2d it was still this voltage)

Yes, i'm measuring with a multimeter, i don't trust software. How could this issue not be resolved or even see any posts about this (Did i just come underneath the rock yesterday)!!!?

Okay, even at 520/780 i would still see these red dots on the browser, windows explorer, GD! Now i switched the memory back to default (well overclocked from factory) 750MHz and the red dots went away, WTF? I think i have retard disease cause i can't think of anything to do to fix this. This is ridiculas!

The memory volt mod was stated to get around 2.2v and not passed 2.3v or even at that. When i even get the memory voltage to that it doesn't even effect the frequencies. I know it's a 1.4ns memory rated at 1450, but some people are pulling off 900MHz (x2 ddr). Hmmm....

I'll try decreasing the voltage slightly to see if the high voltage is the issue. strange though don't you think. The bios is overwriting it i think...why would it do this...

-=UPDATE=-

Okay, i cleaned off the #2 Pencil trace with a 99.9% isopropyl alcohol. Now the memory voltage is back to 2.02v. Now i crank up the memory from 750MHz to 835 (x2 DDR) and it seems fine in 2D mode. No red dotted artifacts anywhere in sight. I thing the memory just couldn't handle the voltage. I have copper ram sinks on all eight memory modules, the VF700Cu on the core, and the two regulators on the back with rams sinks including the one on the front as well. Trust me i put my finger on these (power regulator sinks) and it's warm not hot (at least not yet, hehe). I had this memory frequencies @835MHz before i even attempted the memory volt mod. I guess some people have luck and others don't. I can try to see if i can hit 850MHz on memory by going up slowly with the voltage (by using the pencil) and check the frequencies (stable or any artifacts on 2d). I'll let you know what happens. MAN, you're the man though, i couldn't read your whole two posts (shame on me, sorry man) because it's not only late (accuse, hehe) but i'm not understanding most of it. Thanks agian man, i'll keep you posted there CHIEF. :)