XFX 7900GT Modification

If you have that xfx then you have one of the better cards probably.

You could allways try a few diff rev's of that card's bios and see if it gets you better clocks.

Xfx makes some of the more wicked bios'es, when it comes to the timings.

Some people mod there timings, some don't.

Some just pick a good card.

You can only get so far withought touching some timing here or there probably.

Not a big deal though really, there is gains to be had yes, but knowledge out there is just not public.

I was able to get some higher clocks at by modding timings by trial and error(then some I knew what were for performance reasons).

When it comes to the newer cards, newer then 7800gtx, I'm in the dark, or those extreme edition things, the ones stock clocked around 1800mhz...

Those things man, they have some strange timings going for them.

Xfx makes some of those :).

I had a msi card, one of the generic brands.

Like gainward, which is actually a generic brand believe it or not.

The best bios I had found was one of the gigbyte bios'es, then some of the xfx's were allright too.

In the end I had 1400mhz memory on a 6600gt, no vmods, and no heatsinks on the ram.

Actually kinda screwed that up too, because I had a giant heatsink on mine for the core, no hsi sink, and I had a gap of nothing but air a few mm think above some of the memory trapping heat probably.

Still the ones I could touch, cold :).

1 timing mod, plus a differe'nt card's bios got me that.

Max core that I had was 550 though, I could 3dmark 600, but gaming it for around an hour resulted in lockups :(, 575 the same.

I'm glad to see you sorted out your prob :).

You don't like rt lol, I don't much like it either, I just use it for oc'ing and that info dumping.

(Oc'ing, I set it up so I don't need to check the oc, and I have it so it can oc the idle speeds).

You even tuaght me something :), that upping vmem on those nv cards, you have to check 2d throughally :).

I'll remmember that one...

:)

nVidia cards can be a hassle, but in the end, once they are working halfway good, I personally think they are worth it :) (just me though, I like those nv cards :D )

Anyways dude, good luck on your card man :)

Yeah, so i got it @520/825 on 2DMODE and 675/825 for 3DMODE, but still see alittle red dots here and there. The funny part is that once i go over them with the curser they disappear (i don't like these red dots manand sometimes they don't disappear) which actually makes me insane that it's still not working propery. I'll do what i told you before, up the VMEM volt by .01 and see if that helps it in anyway or not. I'll post back results. Thanks for your help.....

-=UPDATE=-

Okay, i just got done doing the 1.55v by adding anothing point. Idle temperature is arouind 43c and LOAD is about 57c. I got the clocks from 675/825 to 695/835. I haven't give the memory volts anymore tries. I still notice red dots on 2D Mode, which is still buggin' me. It's got to be with the clock speeds for the 2D that aren't working right. Anyhow Prey, Condemned Criminal Origin runs great.

Prey

1280x1024

2xaa 8xaf

Settings high/max

Condemned Criminal Origin

Haven't attempted this game yet, it's almost 1am right now....

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

I thaught about it.

At 1st I thaught to myself, a power issue, on the card it's self.

Possibly fixable by tidying up the power going to the card though.

Though now, I realize, that's not it.

It's the timings.

I can help fix it though, if you're willing to a run a program to get some values...

Then input the values...

I could help along the way though, step by step I mean.

And give you the exact timing to mod(which I'll have to look up in my old notes).

The reason I think I can help is because I had the same issue.

Not on the desktop though, but in 2d yes.

In xvid, and raw yuv modes(video playback).

I got white and block dots, (like memory corruption in gaming) once in a while before I modded one timing up by one value.

The slowdown was nil too.

Otherwise you may have to back down some mhz on the mem.

We'de be making use of these programs:

ntimings, or ntimingx (I forgot which one we need for this one).

And rivatuner (the 2 above program hook into rivatuner, you only need it installed, you don't need to run rivatuner).

ntimingx is made from some dude in china, and it was apain to get because I was blocked form dl'ing it for some reason(oddly enough getright could get it lol, it was very wierd, and I know my http headers...).

It's really the same thign as ntimings, but it has more timing stuff in it.

Both are slightly buggy, but they work if you know how to work them.

What I'd do is upload the program, you run it and have it show the registers in there current form, then attach and screen capture of it.

I'd then redo the one timing and attach that captuer, where you would..., paste in the values and press apply, etc etc.

and see if it worked out.

If it did'nt, there's allways the reset button on your computer ;).

Are ya willing to check it out?

It's a bit more advanced, but simple.

In th eend, if it works, you culd add that to you oc'ing proccess that you do now, or I could make a bios.

1st, the timing mod, where you'de test an oc on that, and if that works as expected, a bios mod for default clocks :).

Okay, my XFX 7900GT Extreme is a 1.2 revision w/ 5.71.22.12.03 Bios version. Now when i go into MVKTech, they have the XFX 7900GT {E} Rev.02 that comes with 5.71.22.12.04 bios version. What do you think? Can you download that bios and look into it or should i?

To be honest with you i have no idea what is going on. I can tell you that 700/825 will run without issues on 3DMODE (hopefully still) and has no artifacts, but coming back into 2DMODE the red dotes squares show up either slightly after or might hide for awhile and come in, hehe. If it is the timings, then my games should have block artifacts or crash. I did have the LCD go dark on me last night with 835MHz on memory. So i backed it down to 825MHz (1650Ghz) with the core at 700MHz and things ran well, i mean i was gaming for at least an hour (COD, Prey, Condemned) one after another.

I think i should wait for more testing before attempting to flash this newier bios.

There is also another revision but this one is rev .03 which comes with 5.71.22.12.83.

Now when you see rev. 03 you get the impression as it's talking about 1.3v on the card right? This is going to be a tough one man, hehehe.

J/k....i'll see what i can do, but let me know if you see any difference in the bios i've sent you and the one that i linked you to that says Rev.02

http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,co.../cat,70/page,6/

I'll check the bios'es out tonight.

What I'll do is check the clocks and such, and then some of the timings in the bios(Some of them, not all, there's tons and tons of them I don't know what they do yet).

I'll also see if it's a good looking dump.

Some/Alot of the roms on that site are incomplete dumps :, especially the quadro ones(allmost every one of those are bad).

I'm getting a new stereo and some new speakers today maybe, depends on if I want them.

Also got a directtv box and have to get the dish later on too(before the weekend anyways).

So I gotta clean clean clean my room :).

Also recently got me a 15in rockford fosgate sub....

Wierd how all this stuff is coming back to me(I used to have 4x 15in'ers and etc etc).

Been wanting a dtv box for years now too.

:).

I'll get to your bios needs tonight though, the past few nights I have been drinking, I do wierd things to roms when I'm drinking...(And I forget what I did the next morning when it comes to hacking roms).

(Funny because I'm pretty good with hardware when I'm drunk, better then when I'm not drunk)

what can u get with liek 2.3 VMEM?

i got my highest clocks with around 2.34Vmem on my 7800gt

I don't think Samsung 1.4ns memory modules need that much voltage. I think your 7800GT is much different. What are your memory modules rated as, 1200MHz? Well, mine are rated @1450MHz, but i got it to 1650MHz right now. This is very odd, not sure why the 2DMODE uses the same frequency as 3DMODE. Instead of 750MHz it still uses 825MHz which is odd to me, but it still doesn't make any sense. If 3DMODE can handle it why can't 2DMODE unless there is something in the bios, right? Timings, voltage adjustment embedded?

I don't think Samsung 1.4ns memory modules need that much voltage. I think your 7800GT is much different. What are your memory modules rated as, 1200MHz? Well, mine are rated @1450MHz, but i got it to 1650MHz right now. This is very odd, not sure why the 2DMODE uses the same frequency as 3DMODE. Instead of 750MHz it still uses 825MHz which is odd to me, but it still doesn't make any sense. If 3DMODE can handle it why can't 2DMODE unless there is something in the bios, right? Timings, voltage adjustment embedded?

no the rams default is at 1000mhz

on stock 2V it would only do 1160mhz , and max was liek 1300 (not Rock stable though)

for 24/7 i run around 2.25V at 1220mhz