Newbie to networking.

marcopolo

How do I connect my 2 computers together, but wireless?

What equipment do I need to buy for a basic inexpensive set-up with 2 pc's?

Both are NF4 with ethernet ports.

I am doing this so they can both be on the net. I may play games

across it aswell.

Thanks.

Marco.

The lag time on wireless gaming is large. You may be able to do it but you will have a high ping.

What kind of network are you looking at?

>One with two computers that both need to access the internet but dont need to talk to each other

>One where you just need the two computers to communicate and dont need an internet connection

>Or the classic one with internet for both computers and they can communicate with each other within the lan

Also what kind of computers are you using (laptops or pcs) and if it is a pc does it have an open pci slot, or if it is a laptop does it already have wireless built in?

Will there be a pc connected to your router?

There are wireless routers that can send and recive at 240mbps but those can get pricey.

If you are looking for the average router I would use a linksys wrt54gl (although mine arrived doa) It transfers data over the wireless connection at 54mbps and is all around reliable.

Well, you'll need a wireless router that you plug your cable/dsl/whatever connection into. You can probably have this next to one of your computers and connect straight to that for one of them.

But then you'll need to get a wireless card or USB to receive the signal at the other computer.

Check out Belkin for a great brand, usually Best Buy has some good deals at this time of year (back to school sales..).

I need to have bot h PC's on the net. Gaming is not a must, just would be an extra.

I already have a Broadband router on my main PC. I was thinking of connecting via the LAN, just with no cable! I guess then I nees wireless LAN but don't know what stuff to buy.

Marco.

I got a Linksys wireless router and its been working great for about 4 years now, and haven't gotten around to updating firmware. Connection can get kinda fuzzy now and then, but its good most of the time. Didn't take much to set up either, have it pretty much for the same reason as you.

Linksys WRT54G is to routers what DFI Lanparty is to motherboards. Get one. It can even be overclocked, there is a community behind it with custom firmwares etc.

Check it out on the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

I have a Linksys WAG54GS which is lovely. Easy to set up and secure, 128bit AES encryption etc etc but the WRT54G is supposed to be very special indeed.

Netgear make top notch routers also.

The wrt54g is pretty good, especially if you install the DD-WRT firmware. DO NOT OVERCLOCK IT! I know its an option, but its the quickest way to brick it. Also, D-Link make a very good gaming router with 108mps wireless and gigabit wired connection. I have both and recommend them highly.

I'm wanting to set up a wireless network with three computers too soon.

Is there no cheaper option than that though?

For me that would cost $115 after rebates, so then in Europe you'd better make that more like $180 as you have no chance of rebates and prices are generally higher.

It's getting pretty expensive...

I know little about decent networking hardware, so this is why I'm asking.

I'd still like to be able to get a good ping though whilst gaming online...is that still possible on a lower budget?

It's gonna be about £45 for the crappiest of wireless G routers with no wireless adapters.

Must it be wireless? That is what is driving up the cost.

You can get a Netgear DG834 ADSL Firewall Router with 4 port 10/100 Switch for about £45. Then all you need is cables. This router is really good I had one myself.

You can get routers for like £20 that will do the job, not quite netgear quality but they will keep you connected 99% of the time.