IHS removal

This is the first time I have ever seen IHS removal. What is the purpose of removing it? It may be a dumb question but after seeing it being removed there has to be a reason someone would want to take their processor apart.

Do you put it back together if so what do you use to seal it? I am just curious about this whole process.

That's the first I have ever heard of it. To actually go through all that I sure hope it cools enough to make it worth it.

Dropped a good 7C on my watercooled rig, I think thats a pretty decent expectation to get as well.

It likely won't help your overclock, but I really do prefer the lower temps.

Dropped a good 7C on my watercooled rig, I think thats a pretty decent expectation to get as well.

It likely won't help your overclock, but I really do prefer the lower temps.

It sure helped mine. This crappy stepping (0607) opteron couldn't get to 2600mhz without pumping 1.61v. After taking off the IHS, I was able to reach 2.6 with 1.54 volts still high, but acceptable since I barely run over 40C full load.

Removing the IHS is well worth it provided you take the time to do it right. While the procedure is not hard to do, a botched IHS removal will kill your proc.

I think the combination of not having school right now and not having a real hobby other than my computer are causing me to seriously consider removing my IHS. It kind of makes me nervous to have my water block exerting all the downward pressure (I don't overtighten it or anything, but its still gotta be on there pretty well) on that little die or whatever its called. I guess you also have to be really careful about applying AS5 too.

Also, is one to expect the same kind of temperature drops on an X2?

It seems kind of foolish to me that AMD would even use an IHS given the fact that they can drop like 7C without it. They had to know that would happen, after all they make the darn things. I sense a conspiracy.... perhaps trying to tempt people into voiding their warrenty so they don't have to pay for them :P

I think the combination of not having school right now and not having a real hobby other than my computer are causing me to seriously consider removing my IHS. It kind of makes me nervous to have my water block exerting all the downward pressure (I don't overtighten it or anything, but its still gotta be on there pretty well) on that little die or whatever its called. I guess you also have to be really careful about applying AS5 too.

Also, is one to expect the same kind of temperature drops on an X2?

It seems kind of foolish to me that AMD would even use an IHS given the fact that they can drop like 7C without it. They had to know that would happen, after all they make the darn things. I sense a conspiracy.... perhaps trying to tempt people into voiding their warrenty so they don't have to pay for them :P

If you remove it you will have to have a bolt down cpu cooler or your in for lots of nose bleads

Just a idea that came to me about making it easier to install a HSF on your CPU after taking off the IHS. I was told from a friend that if you have a old AthlonXP laying around that you can use the pads off of it on your CPU to help with putting on your HSF. He says that it gives him peace of mind because if you use them you don't have to worry as much about putting the HSF on and ruining your CPU. They make shims for the socket A CPU's so why couldn't someone make a shim from copper for the socket 939. That would make a great tutorial...making a shim for your CPU out of copper. Another idea that people might like is they always say they don't know what to do with the IHS after they remove it.....why not make a shim from them? I think copper would be better.

• 5 months later...

Certainly not advocating removal of the IHS but I have been using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro HSF (clip on type) for four months without issue.

But it is the only clip type I know of that works with any modification.