new water cooling

I would definitely recommend the cylindrical reservoir. The only consideration you need to think of is where you will put the thing. Its a few inches tall so its very possible that it could block a PCIe slot if you ever find yourself wanting to upgrade to SLi. I personally don't have this problem as I don't intend on going SLI, but everybody is different.

I don't recommend the bay style reservoirs only because of how they are positioned. Any reservoir can leak, but the problem with bay reservoirs is that they are in a place where they can leak on important stuff.

I actually did see a highly interesting looking reservoir at xoxide.com:

http://www.xoxide.com/alphacool-cape-agb2-black.html

Now that thing will probably NEVER leak and it looks pretty cool.

I think I misread the newegg page. Thats great that you have some 120mm fan mounts. the cool thing about radiators is that the air being blown off of them isn't hot or anything, its quite cool actually, so you can still use these mounts as case fans, just with radiators attached to them. You'd have to ask someone else about 2 radiator systems, but my idea would be a reservoir in the front with a fan pulling air through it into the system and one on the back (preferably on the inside to avoid drilling).

I have absolutely no idea as to how efficient single 120mm radiators are, but I definitely know that people have used 2 radiator setups, just don't know if it worked out for the better.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it just might be doable. It might take some case modding, but it'll save me the $100+ for a new Full Tower case. It will also allow me to have a rad in between the two heat sources, the CPU and GPU. The only disadvantage I see (besides the obvious need for more tubing) is that two 120 rads is much more expensive than one 240. It's ok though because I am way under my budget anway.

As for the reservoir, I will take lowboy's advice and read around about them. I can do a fillport if i have to.

I actually did see a highly interesting looking reservoir at xoxide.com:

http://www.xoxide.com/alphacool-cape-agb2-black.html

Now that thing will probably NEVER leak and it looks pretty cool.

The Alphacool rez has two things going against it.

-It's aluminum, so all the warnings about mixing metals in a loop and the precautions necessary to deal with it are required.

-It's tiny. Given a moderately high flowrate (which your chosen D5 pump will produce), the water will pass right through that rez carrying the entrapped air along with it. Bleeding a loop with that rez will be just as awkward as using a basic t-line, so why bother?

Surprisingly (especially given it's size and price), the Swiftech Microrez

works beautifully and is simple to mount. Although the design looks counterintuitive (to me, at least) at first, air bleeds from the waterstream in a matter of seconds and the loop remains bubble free.