Vantec Iceberq BOILING! HELP!

Gak

I'm asking for your help because i do not know what more to do!

I'm not new to replacing coolers and applying thermal greases so i know all the rules to follow!

I bought a Vantec Iceberq to replace my stock chipset cooler and i was expecting thing to be a little better. However they are even worse...

The damn thing is boiling and im getting 49ºC idle where i used to get 44º... I didn't even try to go full load cause it seems to me that it will go up sky rocket to 60Cº...

I've assembled/dissassembled the thingy 3 times already. Always with new coat of thermal compound... The results are always the same... I'm considering returning to the stock cooler...

What the heck is going on here?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm not new to replacing coolers and applying thermal greases so i know all the rules to follow!

:)

I've removed the stock cooler.

I've used alcohol to clean both.

I've just put a drop of thermal compound, spread it over the chipset in a very thin layer. And applied a drop in the cooler wich after spread was cleaned with a soft cloth.

Applied the cooler.

That was my procedure... Three times.

I've gone back to the stock cooler.

Even with AS5 im getting the same temps i used to have. I guess my chipset and it's factory thermal tape were very well applied.

Vantec Iceberq is a no go for me...

Too much risky to install i almost scratched my board trying to remove it this last time and i did not get good enough temps. imho.

Well... Just for the info!

Did some lapping... Nothing too fancy...

Used a dremel to polish and give some more clearance on the clip holes. (Although one side has now a bit too much space... But it works...

It is easier to install and remove.

However im still getting @ idle, temps 3Cº above stock cooler....

It sounds like either you have a dual slot video card in the first PCI-E (maybe not listed in your sig) which is pushing hot air into the chipset cooler. Maybe when installing the cooler the Vantec is making a good enough connection with the chipset.

Guest Kobalt
Well... Just for the info!

Did some lapping... Nothing too fancy...

Used a dremel to polish and give some more clearance on the clip holes. (Although one side has now a bit too much space... But it works...

It is easier to install and remove.

However im still getting @ idle, temps 3Cº above stock cooler....

WHICH Iceberq you get? They make many models.

To the various questions:

The cooler is this:

Vantec CCB-A1C Iceberq

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58366

I also tried a variety of bios configurations for the chipset fan. With no result. When i was able to get the same temperature than the stock cooler for idle/full/gaming etc, the vantec was noticeable louder...

I've reverted to the stock cooler for now...

Guest Kobalt
To the various questions:

The cooler is this:

Vantec CCB-A1C Iceberq

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58366

I also tried a variety of bios configurations for the chipset fan. With no result. When i was able to get the same temperature than the stock cooler for idle/full/gaming etc, the vantec was noticeable louder...

I've reverted to the stock cooler for now...

It sure sounds like it didn't mount correctly. I know others have used that cooler, and report that it is 5C+ better than the stock.