"Core Temp" - monitor temps on K8s and Core/2 CPUs (updated

The Coolest

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

msmolt:

TCaseMax is a preset value that is a constant on a given CPU. It basically means what is the highest temperature allowable between the CPU top center and the HSF junction. Your temps in Core Temp or even mobo temps go above that, it doesn't mean your CPU is in actual danger.

msmolt:

TCaseMax is a preset value that is a constant on a given CPU. It basically means what is the highest temperature allowable between the CPU top center and the HSF junction. Your temps in Core Temp or even mobo temps go above that, it doesn't mean your CPU is in actual danger.

Yeah, what I said! LOL

The Coolest, jump in here and correct me if this is wrong. Although probably over simplified, I've always thought of TCaseMax as TDP expressed as a temperature. Or looking at it another way it's the max temperature the processor will reach loaded 100% at stock settings using the OEM supplied HSF at a given ambient temperature.

So no it is not the shutdown temperature of the processor.

Definition of TDP from AMD

This is the maximum theoretical amount of power (in Watts) that a processor may consume and therefore dissipate as heat. TDP-values are crucial when it comes to designing cooling solutions as they specify the maximum amount of power (=heat) that a cooling solution must be able to dissipate.Note that AMD's TDP-values are absolute maximum, i.e. 'worst case' ratings.During normal operation, an AMD Processor will typically not reach its specified TDP. Other manufacturers may have a different definition for their TDP-values, e.g. they might give typical instead of absolute maximum ratings, i.e. they might specify the amount of power dissipated during normal operation (='typical' conditions).

The Coolest

somthing that I have noticed is wile running core temp and being in explorer looking at my files I get a flash across my screen every time core temp reads temps when i turn core temp off it stops and also I have just noticed that it has stoped making a log file ( yes log file is turned on )

EDITED I figured out the log ok

My article which discusses motherboard temperature sensors and DTS has been posted just now here:

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1378

The Coolest

somthing that I have noticed is wile running core temp and being in explorer looking at my files I get a flash across my screen every time core temp reads temps when i turn core temp off it stops

Interesting. I've never heard this one before, I'll look into it, thanks.

The Coolest

I was just going to post a link to your article. Excellent read. It should answer most questions people have regarding the various methods of reading processor temperature. Would you consider editing your first post and putting a link to the article there also?