XP x64 EXTREMLY SLOW!

Vassili Zaitsev

It is not slow, it is more slow than a P 150 MHz...

Booting up and all the stuff, and asking me my login and password to enter windows, is perfect, very fast.

But the problem is when it starts loading the task bar, the messenger icon is there, the banshee alarm too (its the first loaded), the Daemon tools is there, ATi tray is there, but then I've to wait from 20 seconds to unknown (sometimes i had to reset that piece _____)

What can be going wrong?

The PC doesn't hang on games or any intense activity...

maybe a corrupted system file or something?

***I've ubuntu 5.10 on another partition of the disk.

Thanks guys!

What all do you have installed? Are you sure it isn't something with an incompatibility with x64?

Have you checked for stability (both memory and cpu)?

It is possible a sector is bad on your hard drive, or just a system file as you said.

ok

I found something interesting:

The last thing loaded are the two network monitors. My internet comes from a router, and i receive it with the "NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller", not with the Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller...

Maybe there is a problem with the connections, im gonna try to disable both and see what happens...

Problem "solved".

I think it is the network monitor for the Marvell NIC, dont know why, but it seems that it is trying to get a connection, but there is no cable for it (cable unpluged), and it seems like if the explorer waits for the monitor stablish connection...

VERY strange, any opinion about it? Ô_O

while ur on x64 & hanging.

ive been getting a hang on catalyst about 15-20s, and as a result get the new hardware window until catalyst wakes up. then everythings fine. ive only just set it all up ,and had this setup with XP32bit all worked fine. i loaded programs in this order.

chipset

.net framework

catalyst

also ive moved doc & settings to my second partition

changed target for 32bit programs to third partition

moved virtual memory to third partition as well, also upped it from 3gb -5gb and bought the initnal down from 1536k to 512k. if eney of that helps.

all the same as my xp32bit setup so none of that should matter :confused:??

click start>>control panel>> adminstrative tool>>event viewer. I would expect any errors to be listed in there. It should make it easier to fix any problems.