New System, New Member

OtisN89

I've been looking into building a computer for months now and I would like to think I've done my "homework" on the subject. I'm pretty well decided on ordering the components in my signature and I would apreciate any input you would have on them, problems, suggestions ect. Just wanted to make sure that they will work and I'm not making any mistakes. Thanks.

Oh, I didn't put the cd drive in the sig. because I basically plan on getting whatever DVD/CD combo drive is cheapest when I order, and I plan on Using XP Pro. Thanks again.

Welcome to DFI-Street! All the components in your Sig look very nice, especially the 7600GT. I just got one for a family member, and it's a very solid card.

One problem though, that Aspire PSU is horrible. All Aspire PSUs are. I would highly recommend you look into the OCZ GameXStream, Fortron or other recommended PSU from this list here: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

Guest caffeinejunkie

Welcome to the Street OtisN89

Seandude05 is right about the psu. Also instead of the 3800 you might want to look into the Opteron 165 or atleast wait for the AMD price drops. Also if you can you might want to shoot for 2gb or memory (its pretty much needed for gaming anymore lol).

Good Luck with the rig

Welcome to the forum man.

Build should be a breeze with the right components and following the guides.

Whatever we can do to help.

May want to check out the OCZ GamerExtreme that's on sale at MonarchPC for less than a hundo.

I'd chime in for 2x1G of GSkill, OCZ or Mushkin UCCC DDR 500 RAM. opsAMD x2's were scheduled for price drops on July 24th (day after Conroe release) but even if pushed back there will be some very sweet deals

http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/1779_la...ull_pricing.png check out 3800 and 4200 pricing

Thanks for the advice. I looked at those PSUs and they're expensive, does anyone know of any that may be slightly less expensive.

I probably will wait a little while if prices are going to drop that soon.

As for caffinejunkies suggestion of an Opteron 165 and 2bgs of ram, that may also be too expensive for me, especially the Opteron as it costs more than twice what the 3800+ does.

i'm somewhat new myself, so apologies in advance.....

1. after my first helping i usually come back and ask, "more ram please!"

2. personal experience.... bought the seagate hd. like it very much. mb is raid capable. should have bought 2 seagate hd's and raided from the start. you know you're gonna want to try raid somtime. why not do it from the start?

lastly, nec makes a good cheap cdrw/dvdrw drive. mine's been good. i can recommend it.

good luck on your build!

Guest caffeinejunkie
Thanks for the advice. I looked at those PSUs and they're expensive, does anyone know of any that may be slightly less expensive.

I probably will wait a little while if prices are going to drop that soon.

As for caffinejunkies suggestion of an Opteron 165 and 2bgs of ram, that may also be too expensive for me, especially the Opteron as it costs more than twice what the 3800+ does.

hmm arent 3800s like $290ish right now? The 165 is like 30 more and that might be worth it for the extra 1mb cache. But since your waiting then forget the 165 you cant beat the 3800 for sub 200.