Monitor Turning Green

wingspar

Besides LaCie have a three year warrenty on thier monitors, I would get into contact with them after you have tried everything else.

I switched the monitor over to my new system this morning, and it looked fine, so I figured it was the video card in the old system, which is about 5 years old. Hooked it back up to the old system, and it looks fine. It’s not turning green at all. I haven’t a clue as to what is/was going on.

I couldn’t remember what the warranty period was on the monitor, and I can’t find the warranty. It’s probably up in the attic with the box the monitor came in. 3 years is good, but I’m not sure it’s the monitor. The only thing I did different than this morning when I re-seated the video card is remove the cable from in back of the monitor, as it was very difficult to get to, but I could reach back there and feel that it was tight. Might have been a bunch of dirt work it’s way in there. I don’t know, but for now, the green is gone. :)

The tried and true method for determining whether or not it’s a loose connection is to wiggle the cable while it’s in operation. If it flickers or gets better or worse, you’ve got your finger on the problem, if it seems to have no effect, it’s prolly not the cable or the connection.

What’s the warranty on those expensive CRTs? Is there a LaCie service agent near you?

Wiggling the cable didn’t make any difference. I believe there is a 3 year warranty on the monitor.

my LCD monitor (VGA connector) goes blue when it sits for too long (I have a DVI-VGA adapter, and its super duper hard to screw things tight back there because the way my case is built..), just a wiggle and its back to normal..

my LCD monitor (VGA connector) goes blue when it sits for too long (I have a DVI-VGA adapter, and its super duper hard to screw things tight back there because the way my case is built..), just a wiggle and its back to normal..

I’m thinking it might have been dirt where the cable connected to the back of the monitor. It’s working fine now.

Your monitor may have required "degaussing". When you disconnected it from the computer, it may have automatically degaussed itself.

Just a thought.

I degauss my "hp pavilion mx90" (5 years old) periodically.

No I did'nt look around.

I thaught it may of been a box.

In any case, I still stand by you cannot adjust by graphs alone.

Anyways you got your prob sorted out it seems.

Edit:

Anyways adjusting by software is not professional in the least.

It must be done by hardware.

But blah blah lol :).

Your monitor may have required "degaussing". When you disconnected it from the computer, it may have automatically degaussed itself.

Actually, I’ve never really known what degaussing is. I see what happens on the screen when I do it, but beyond that, no idea what degaussing is. The monitor is connected to a power strip, and turned off there every night after shutting the computer down.

Also, I had it completely disconnected from the computer when I re-seated the video card this morning, which didn’t change anything.

if it happens again stop by your local TV or Electronics repair shop, they should have a stand alone degaussing coil, I've found that when my second monitor goes on the fritz it usually works better than the internal degaussing coil.

EDIT: Degaussing is the re-aligning of the magnetic field that draws the electrons from your Cathode Tube towards the individual color pixels. if they get charged differently it will lead to color and/or size distortion. Baisically its like resighting a rifle thats been jarred off target.