What RAM?

kam_sandhu44

Hi all

Im new to this forum and have a quick question. I am looking to ditch my MSI motherboard as its holding me back on upgrades. I am looking to run a GeForce 7950 GX2 and my motherboard doesnt support it. After much research and hearing lots of good things a bout DFI I have decided to buy a DFI LANParty nForce4 SLI-DR EXPERT. I need some RAM to go with this, but the problem is I know nothing about RAM. I am looking for 2x1gb so any recomendations would be great.

Thanx :)

Guest mars
dont get expert? some people here HATE it..too many problems.

Expert is a great board, but you will need to spend considerable time tweaking the RAM to get it running.

As a previous poster mentioned, OCZ is good RAM that should be easier to configure with this board.

I like G.Skill RAM. If I was going to build a really good system, I would go for the 2GBHZ model. There are plenty of people in the forums using it and you should be able to take a complete set of parameters straight from these forums. Not the tighest timings - but great for overclocking. If you are not OC'ing, then get the RAM with the tightest timings: OCZ Platinum EB ($s;(), G.Skill 2GBHV, etc... Or for 1GB, get something rated 2-2-2-5 - like Winbond BH-5 based RAM.

If you don't want to muck around with different configurations and want something that works without tweaking, then perhaps the Expert is not for you. But the performance and flexibility are unrivaled.

kam_sandhu44

welcomeani.gif

To DFI-Street

A good SLI board is a DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-DR. It will work well with your 4400+. While Kingston RAM is really not recommended to run in a DFI board some people have gotten Kingston RAM to work.

DFI boards are for the enthusiast someone who likes to tweak and has somewhat of a good understanding of BIOS settings. Can anyone build a DFI board? Absolutely if you read the threads and sticky adhere to what is in them and you should be fine. Don’t get me wrong some people fine them challenging and some fine them easy.

My recommendation is to read these threads do your homework on these boards.

Here is good link to read on memory; Recommended - RAM Guide for DFI nF4's. Look under (A list of good memory modules).

Very Important to follow the build guide. nF4 LanParty - initial build w/pictures.

Then you should also first read this prior to OC’ing; The Definitive DFI AMD Overclocking Guide. Then re-read it, and you will be surprised how much more info you’ll pick up.

PSU’s

Recommended! - NF4 Ultra/SLI Mobos:PowerSupplies

PSU Brands to Avoid

Minimum requirements is a 24-pin 480w power supply (PSU)

Thanks all for your help, I will read through the guides. To tell you the truth I havent really OC'ed before, but I am looking to get into it, hence why I am going for this board. I am hoping to put my machine together in the next few weeks. Ive heard alot of good things about OCZ RAM, I may well look in to them. Thanks for all you imput, you have all been very helpful!!