Vantec CCB-A1C Iceberq NF4/ATI Chipset Cooler @ $9.99

From what I know vc-re is the way to go. My chipset never goes pass 40c on my expert.

So is there any consensus on which one to get? No pages and pages of diligent research, test scores, temp graphs? What do I pay you for anyway!?

Seriously though, I'm interested in buying at least one of these. Is it six of one and half a dozen of the other?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously though, I'm interested in buying at least one of these. Is it six of one and half a dozen of the other?

so far...pretty much, yeah

the Evercool is a little easier to mount since it has spring-loaded pins, but you have to sorta 'squeeze' the metal that holds the pins to get the pins to line up with the holes and push through

the Iceberq is a better fit in that regards, but the push-pins are not spring loaded and I can see a lot of people busting the corner of their chipset putting an Iceberq on...I would say the Iceberq would be my choice (it's a bit quieter at full tilt and it's smaller etc) but only with nylon bolt/nut/washers (as I love bolt-through stuff)

:) thanks for the pics and mini-review. I have the Vantec, and am just about to order my Ultra-D. If I remember, I'll take some more pics of the stock fan running, and then the Vantec, and tell everyone what I think about the noise, fitting mechanism, etc. *IF* I get my Ultra-D up and running, that is. Wish me luck :D

Guest LithoTech
anyone knows will vantec CCB-A4P also fit in Ultra-D? can't find the A1C in here. it's bigger in diameter (88x65x15 versus 51x59x14). but the main concern here is the height, right?

It will fit only with modifications.

Correct, it is slightly higher:

iceberqdfi6sn.jpg

Link to a guide on modifying it, just a little dremel'in, fussy so measure twice and cut once.

http://myweb.cableone.net/lreedy/computer/nbcoolermod.html

Please let us know how it goes, with pics if possible :) and I'd love to see your temperature improvements, the one's posted in the guide seem a little borked and should be better for what this cooler is in size, fan speed and cfm.

Guest LithoTech
Originally Posted by Kobalt

Happy, no pics of the "extra" stuff you get with the iceberq? Those 2 extra heatsinks they give you make for some great decorations!

Too bad they are not made of copper like the integrated heatsink w/fan.

nah they are useless to me so i just dump them into a drawer

Hmmmm, fasten one to the little heatsink on the voltage regulator beside the 3v - 4v jumper, like Osen did here, took a ton of temp off of it for him.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...373&postcount=1

This had me perked, because I had the jumper in use at the time, and a thermistor attached to it, and a 120mm fan directed in the area for active cooling on the BH-5 ram. The temp readings I was getting were fine, 40c or so, nothing hot, warm to the touch is all.

It wasn't until later when I was reconfiguring all my cooling in the case and running without the fan on the ram and jumper area, that my thermistor alarm started going off! Oooh boy, yeah! She was getting HOT! Very hot! Read farther on in the thread for my full comments on that story.

Anywhoo, the fan does a spiffy job of taking heat off the tiny heatsink, but I'm still on the lookout for a small or medium sink I can screw on this thing like Osen has done.

I've got a couple dead PSU's I plan to open up and hopefully find something I can cut down and use. Failing that, I just might cut my spare Zalman NB47J in half and stick IT on there, like so:

z2s6bu.jpg

You can see the thermistor stuck in there, wedged inbetween the cap and sink.

Guest LithoTech

Now, for any of you very brave modders, who don't run SLI and don't mind moving their vid card to the lower slot...

The SilenX Ixtrema IXN-40C Quiet Copper Chipset Cooler

$23 CND (that should put it around $12 USD lol)

ixnlight6mu.jpg

ixnfront2hw.jpg

Specifications

• 150g Heatsink

• 54.0mm x 54.0mm x 27.0mm

• 40x40x20mm Fan

• 14dBA - 3000RPM - 6CFM

• 12v - 0.04A - 0.48w

SilentX Site for this Cooler

Not too impressive, only 6cfm. But wait! That is a very deep fan, it's depth is half the size of it's sides! And damn quiet! Who needs a ton of cfm with all the surface area of that sink? A slow but consistant flow of air through there may take a whack more temp off than we are seeing with these other two coolers.

Discuss.

So is there any consensus on which one to get? No pages and pages of diligent research, test scores, temp graphs? What do I pay you for anyway!?

Ok, couple of thoughts. The Vantec doesn't have the CFM that the VC-RE does and I don't think it really has a significant advantage in surface area, since the "extra height" is mostly from the fan cover screwed onto the top (Can that thing be removed? It looks like it would nearly be stock height then.)

So I'd guesstimate that the VC-RE will outperform the Vantec by a small margin, but I dont' think the difference will be significant enough etiher way to write home about. Let's get real, people remounting the stock NF4 HSF with ceramique or AS5 get temps only a few degrees over the same swap with an Evercool.

So until someone does a good temp testing, I'd recommend this:

Get the VC-RE if:

1- You need PCIE clearance for a long vga card

2- You need better cooling

3- You don't want to MOD with a dremel... the VC-RE doesn't need any modding to work

4- You're not trying to build a silent or near-silent system (it's quiet, but reports say the Vantec is quieter)

Get the Vantec if:

1- You want quieter operation in a watercooled near-silent system

2- You like your dremel or want to play with it

3- You don't have any clearance issues with PCIE cards

This is just my best guesstimate without tests to back it up... I have to add that this isn't what I would do if I had the choice... I'd either use the VC-RE and if I wanted quieter and didn't have clearance issues, I'd use the Jing Ting Chipset cooler with a really quiet fan mounted on it.

Hmmmm, fasten one to the little heatsink on the voltage regulator beside the 3v - 4v jumper, like Osen did here, took a ton of temp off of it for him.

ya but that is only for BH-5 where you need more than 3.2v

and honestly...most of us have evolved beyond BH-5 and the need for high voltages by going to 2GB kits now

it's a good idea for those still using high volts, dont get me wrong, I'm not bashing it at all...just saying that most of us have moved beyond the need for that much voltage on our DRAM lol

Guest LithoTech
ps: the Vantec is just as low as the Evercool in height

I can see zero difference

Yes, I think there was a mixup somewhere, the pic I showed I stated is not the CCB-A1C model, it is the Iceberq4 model, the one that needs modding.

I found that pic while looking for one I'm sure I saw that showed the CCB-A1C to be exactly the same size as the VC-RE. Never did find the one I was looking for.

Guest LithoTech
ya but that is only for BH-5 where you need more than 3.2v

and honestly...most of us have evolved beyond BH-5 and the need for high voltages by going to 2GB kits now

it's a good idea for those still using high volts, dont get me wrong, I'm not bashing it at all...just saying that most of us have moved beyond the need for that much voltage on our DRAM lol

Yup, so true. The only reason I'm still messing around with it is I missed out on the fun when it was all happinin', I always seem to be roughly two years behind the latest tech trends. Part of my history lesson before delving into DDR2 lol.

Without the jumper and above 3.2 volts, that sink is barely even warm.

I can see why you advise against running below 3.3 volts with the jumper on, it must absolutely cook that area!