Why have all 4 power connections hooked-up?

ok so i just got my new ram in again today, and just started memtest so it can get broken-in. i was just wondering to make it more stable why do you need all 4 power connections hooked if you're not using bout 2 of them. lets say the floppydrive power connection and the other one. isnt it kinda pointless to have wires connected there without a device? ill do it though if in fact it does mean more stability for my pc. its been quite some time since ive had my own running.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NF4 LanParty Expert Motherboards

Must have three power connectors plugged into the motherboard.

24-pin main power connector

8-pin 12v secondary connector or EPS

4-pin 5v/12v floppy connection or FDD-type

Download and check your Expert motherboards manual page 68-71.

NF4 LanParty Expert Motherboards

Must have three power connectors plugged into the motherboard.

24-pin main power connector

8-pin 12v secondary connector or EPS

4-pin 5v/12v floppy connection or FDD-type

Download and check your Expert motherboards manual page 68-71.

oops. i thought there were suppose to be four. :P anyways if im not using my floppydrive should i really need to install the connection anyways?

Has nothing to do with having a floppy drive, it's just using that type of connection to bring extra power to the mobo. It can help get a more constant flow of electricity going to important components. Everytime say a hard drive spins up there is a small spike in voltage/amps, which can be harmful, but mostly can cause instability especially when overclocking.

Has nothing to do with having a floppy drive, it's just using that type of connection to bring extra power to the mobo. It can help get a more constant flow of electricity going to important components. Everytime say a hard drive spins up there is a small spike in voltage/amps, which can be harmful, but mostly can cause instability especially when overclocking.
so just install the connection, and let it be, and this will help with stability? after memtest is over ill def. install it.

The Expert motherboard is very picky about power and the types of PSU’s it uses. Power requirement for DFI motherboards are very high. Having all the power connectors plug in will make the world of difference in stability and overclocking.

Guest caffeinejunkie

My only question is why wouldnt you? I mean why would a motherboard manufacturer include these power connections if they werent needed or werent useful? It even says in the manual to connect them for added stability.

Oh and the four connectors everyone usually refers to is for all the other boards that use the 20+4,4pin,molex,and floppybut as you already know it's different for the expert.

but a more important question is, WHY did they have to place the power connector all the way over the far side of the mobo from the rest of your devices such as opticals, fdd etc. makes for one hell of a cable mess.

^^^^ now thats a good question lol

But it could be worse I was working on a machine today with an ECS PV4MM2 and the floppy connector is on the left edge of the board while the IDEs are in the lower right hand corner lol