Why have all 4 power connections hooked-up?

My only question is why wouldnt you? I mean why would a motherboard manufacturer include these power connections if they werent needed or werent useful? It even says in the manual to connect them for added stability.

Oh and the four connectors everyone usually refers to is for all the other boards that use the 20+4,4pin,molex,and floppybut as you already know it's different for the expert.

yea, its just im not using the floppy and its just more cable i kinda dont wont in my case. :P

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they (the connectors) are there because they would cause EMI (Electro-magnetic interference) if all that power had to travel across 1/2-3/4 of the width of the board crossing all sort of circuits in the PCB.

Required Power Connectors for these type of motherboards.

NF4 LanParty D/SLI Non-Expert Motherboards

24-pin main power connector

4-pin 12v secondary connector or EPS

4-pin 5v/12v molex connection or HDD-type

4-pin 5v/12v floppy connection or FDD-type

NF4 LanParty Expert Motherboards

8-pin 12v secondary connector or EPS

Check the Expert Motherboards manual page 68-71

Expert Motherboards manual

_man1c_ get a molex to floppy (FDD) adapter. You can get one probably at a local computer store.

º¿º

Required Power Connectors for these type of motherboards.

NF4 LanParty D/SLI Non-Expert Motherboards

4-pin 12v secondary connector or EPS

4-pin 5v/12v molex connection or HDD-type

NF4 LanParty Expert Motherboards

Check the Expert Motherboards manual page 68-71

Expert Motherboards manual

_man1c_ get a molex to floppy (FDD) adapter. You can get one probably at a local computer store.

º¿º

kewl. so just dont use the one that came with the mobo and install it?

kewl. so just dont use the one that came with the mobo and install it?

Use three power connectors;

If you check the Expert Motherboards manual it will give you specific instructions.

Use three power connectors;

If you check the Expert Motherboards manual it will give you specific instructions.

k. will do.:) right now memtest is running fine. no errors etc. so im happy at the moment it seems stable.

My guestimation would be that trace routiing required it.

Feeding power directly to the source reduces the overall resistance and fluctuations from interferent sources prevelant in longer traces.

Having a longer trace route, passing other motherboard power functions, would increase the resistance and interference which would negatively affect power feed.

but a more important question is, WHY did they have to place the power connector all the way over the far side of the mobo from the rest of your devices such as opticals, fdd etc. makes for one hell of a cable mess.

Yeh, i know about trace resistance and emi and stuff from uni, but the EMI and trace impendance would most likely be negligible compared to the impedance of the connection and the wiring from the psu, and the internal resistance of the traces and connections that run it around the place to where power is required.

also, I just noticed that there is a placement block above the floppy connector which is empty and has fan3 for a label even though the fan 3 jumper is way over the other side of the board. Appears as though it may have been placed there simply because they could remove the initial placement of a fan jumper and put it there without having to move critical components.

I think a better answer is that keeping the impedance low enough for good stability across the entire circuit board without these auxilliary connectors would have required another layer to the circuit board, adding significant expense in a price competitive market, or forcing the removal of components (features) so that larger traces could be run. Imagine what could be added with twice the ATX form factor for space.

The point made before about the 24 pin connector also has merit; even if massive wire were used between the connector and the PSU, and even if the pins were silver, there is a limit to the size of the traces that can be run to the connector pins, and hence a limit to how low the circuit impedance can be.

Ac impedance is also determined by the size of the capacitors used near each IC on the board. That too is an economic decision, for which I suggest more PSU connections is the lower cost, and probably more reliable approach.

I myself appreciate the capabilities of my motherboard for its cost. I appreciate that the choice by DFI to stay away from defective capacitor manufacturers added cost that I was very much willing to bear. (In fact, this is a primary reason for my choosing a DFI board.) No matter what one's time is worth, it doesn't take long trying to troubleshoot a computer with a defective motherboard to eat the cost differential. And I have an Abit KT-7 handy if anyone wants to see the multiple examples of defective capacitor manufacture that has cost me a lot of time and money.

kirby