Major problems overclocking Venices!

I have now tested two 3200+ Venices ... Both max around 2300 Mhz and no dot react to voltage. I don't know what seems to be the problem.

I have done so far:

-Tested almost all bioses, NF4 Inf , Inf SLI, Inf Ultra, DAFG

-Tested with another power source, Nexus 3500SE

-Tested with only one memory stick

-And of course, I have tried to figure out which BIOS options could affect this (memory dividers, err94 option, multipliers between 7-10, chip voltage, HTT multiplier, etc.)

This seems ridiculous , as I have had four different S754 Sempron's that all have taken 2,7 Ghz quite easily.

What would you suggest? I am now very disappointed to this board.

Edit 06-29-2006:

Some components changes after first post

-DFI NF4 Infinity -> DFI Lanparty UT NF4-D ... still not overclocking (don't blame the board, but of course Lanparty is more stable)

-NBBWE0612EPMW -> CACAE0612APMW,

problem solved, clocks like like Venices should clock (what we all learned, there can be bad luck twice for a person, but third time tells the truth), and more :D ... Now this thread serves as an aid to my quest getting to The AMD 3GHZ Club.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you following the steps outlined in the Street's definitive OverClocking guide?

For reference it is HERE.

if you are following the guide, give us some more detail on your process and where it goes wrong. With one CPU and these issues, I'd say maybe a weak CPU but two?

Are you following the steps outlined in the Street's definitive OverClocking guide?

For reference it is HERE.

if you are following the guide, give us some more detail on your process and where it goes wrong. With one CPU and these issues, I'd say maybe a weak CPU but two?

I will now try to follow those steps exactly... I'll try with 1.525 Vcore. And return then with the results. If I can trust this boards CPU temperature reading in bios, this CPU idles at 28 degrees C. So I assume my waterblock is correctly mounted.

"With one CPU and these issues, I'd say maybe a weak CPU but two?"

Yes, It's weird. One of those Semprons I had which was the worst one, took only 2380 Mhz @ default vcore. But it scaled with voltage to 2636...

are you using a memory divider, or running 1:1?

sounds like your RAM tops out @ 230mhz, so you keep hitting the wall at 230x10

very unlikely that two 3200+ venice both top out at precisely the same speed

lower HTT multi to 3x or "auto"

try RAM divider of 166mhz or even 150mhz until you find top end of CPU speed

It sounds like you've tried most things already, and I am wondering if the problem could be the sata ports becoming unlocked. I don't know if the infinity has some locked ones and some unlocked ones, or if you're using PATA IDE drives.

It sounds like you've tried most things already, and I am wondering if the problem could be the sata ports becoming unlocked. I don't know if the infinity has some locked ones and some unlocked ones, or if you're using PATA IDE drives.

That's correct. Now I reseated the CPU and put new dot of AS5, started testing from beginning.

I have two SATA drives, and 2 IDE drives.

I have connected the SATA drives to ports 1 & 2. I suppose those are hosted by NF4 chip and the 2 others are on other chip (SiL3114?)

That's correct. Now I reseated the CPU and put new dot of AS5, started testing from beginning.

I have two SATA drives, and 2 IDE drives.

I have connected the SATA drives to ports 1 & 2. I suppose those are hosted by NF4 chip and the 2 others are on other chip (SiL3114?)

it used to be that sata1/2 were unlocked and sata 3/4 were locked on certain boards

maybe this could be the problem with Infinity?

it used to be that sata1/2 were unlocked and sata 3/4 were locked on certain boards

maybe this could be the problem with Infinity?

now I put drives to those 3/4 ports. .... let's see what happens...

Does it lockup, reboot, fail to POST, missing files? What happens when it fails?

OK, I am not exactly sure did it help or not. When I had them on 1/2 sometimes it refused to boot to Windows, it said files were corrupted or missing.

Visual corruption happened around 2,5 Ghz, newertheless which Vcore was.

Actually, now SuperPI32M is running in background, volts are 1.5V. Clocks 2391Mhz.

2450 Mhz was unstable.

Edit (Offtopic): I am vigorously trying to get to the 3Ghz club :nod: With S754 I failed , but not too much ;)AMD Sempron 2800+ @ 2,9 Ghz