7900 and 7950 !!

Hi

I, like many others here I guess, find myself in the situation of looking to replace my current XFX 7800 GTX 265 mb card with something a bit more current.

I admit that there is nothing wrong with it at all but even so it is still nice to look and wonder .....what if......

However, I am now a bit worried if my future upgrade will cause me more hassle that it is worth. I seem to keep on reading that a number of people here and elsewhere have had problems with thier 7900 GTX cards regardless of who made it and I am wondering if I should just keep what I have.

This also raises the next question of what card will the manufactures produce that will actually work properly 99% of the time from day 1 rather than producing a card that seems to have no end of problems knowing all to well that the next generation of video crad is only 3 or 4 months away and that the amount of effort to fix/repair/RMA may well not be worth thier time and effort.

I had been looking at the 7900GTX 512mb card or going for an SLI pair but with the new 7950 cards just around the corner will these fair any better or any worse than the current crop ???

All I do know is that gone are the days of the getting a video card as soon as it hits the shelf for me I will now be waiting to see if those who do take the plunge are having problems with it or not.

I am guessing that I am going to have to wait awhile to see if a pair of 7900GTX card in SLI are better or worse, performance wise, than the new 7950 cards.

just my thoughts really on a situation that seems to have gotten out of control and where the increase in profits and the high demand has been ofset against a high standard of quality control and in depth testing.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant imagine the 7950 will be that huge of an improvement if you take it in the context of 7800 to 7900 and then a half step to 7950. Should affectively drop the 7900gtx price point though :)

Guest Synchronize

7950 is SLi on one card but i don't think it will be faster than two 7900GTX's in SLi might be more like the performance of two 7900GT's maybe? Who knows, really need to see more results with the card. I'm really tempted to get one, the thought of SLi in one slot sounds awesome. Prices aren't gonna be modest though..

I had a Gigabyte 6600 card that was dual GPU and ran in SLI in one slot, but it only worked for certain gigabyte SLI boards, so i never got to try it in that reguard, but i can say i owned one of the first dual core graphics cards!

7950 is SLi on one card but i don't think it will be faster than two 7900GTX's in SLi might be more like the performance of two 7900GT's maybe? Who knows, really need to see more results with the card. I'm really tempted to get one, the thought of SLi in one slot sounds awesome. Prices aren't gonna be modest though..

The 7950 is clocked about like the 7900GT, but more RAM.

It will not reach 7900GTX speeds in SLI. It's made for qud SLI.

Aren't they still haven't issues with those cards? I thought there was alot of problems with those 7950 SINGLE or SLI cards. You might want to just invest on an X1900XTX which would be a nice performance boost if you're playing games like F.e.a.r, oblivion. If you're still on Quake4, Doom3, opengl games, i wouldn't bother if you're already maxed out at 1280x1024 4xaa/8xaf.

Eh, if evga ever gets their crap in order I plan on stepping up to a 7950, just to try it out if noithing else. The benchmarks look fairly impressive, and it might overclock some as well. Those were also preproduction drivers so it'll probably be optimized better in the future.

I figure for $70 how can I go wrong?