Very strange and serious problem...unknown cause

First off I don't know why this has been moved to the overclocking thread since this isn't an overclocking issue, but I guess that's beside the point...

The Antec PSU is definitely too small for my setup, so I was only using it to test a cold boot with minimum components in the board (one stick of RAM, no hdd's, no optical drives, etc.). Normally I use the OCZ Powerstream, which I think is defective. As to the case question - yes, I have built outside of the case with the same result.

My rig was built about 9 months ago and has been running smoothly for the most part until now. Fortunately the PSU is still under warranty so I can RMA through Newegg, which I'm already in the process of doing. What I'm not sure of is whether my board is dead too, and I'm beginning to think that it is.

kelleybp,

the fact that varying degrees of screw tightness (or lack thereof) affected whether or not the board booted in the beginning, leads me to strongly suspect that you had a shorting issue somewhere between the board and/or periphials and grounding to the case. unfortunately, it sounds as if the damage has been done (i.e. power supply kaput and now board acting up / not working) also, unfortunately you've modded the board to SLi so your pretty well crap outta luck on RMA. Might be a good time to start looking for a good price on a replacement. You might also check the For Sale or Trade section here at the Street and see if can find one there.

wevsspot - Since I'm going to be needing a new mobo, how can I be sure this won't happen again w/new power supply and new mobo?? I'm probably going to upgrade to an Expert if I'm getting a new board anyway. Thanks...

RMA your PSU just in case, they would replace it right? I would do that just to be on the safe side. These powerstreams come with adjustable rails (i'm sure you know) and if you are seeing yellow on the back there, i would try to adjust it since that might of been your issue to begin with that slowly either killing something or whatever has happened so far. :)

Good point on adjusting the rails. I've never tried messing with them at all. I have RMA'd the PSU back to Newegg so I should get a new one in about a week or so, but I want to be sure whatever happened to the old PSU and mobo doesn't happen again.

In my experience the primary offenders with board to case shorting are the motherboard standoffs are too short, the motherboard standoffs don't mate with the motherboard mounting holes, there's a standoff where one shouldn't be etc.

Also double check to make sure that your cpu cooler screws aren't hitting on the motherboard tray. Make sure that all PS2, serial and USB ports ARE properly grounded by the little springy tabs on the I/O backplate.

Lastly, if you have any doubts about the quality of your case, replace it. A case that isn't square, isn't sturdy, has protruding points or poorly finished edges is a prime candidate for a case that MAY cause grounding problems.

In my experience the primary offenders with board to case shorting are the motherboard standoffs are too short, the motherboard standoffs don't mate with the motherboard mounting holes, there's a standoff where one shouldn't be etc.

Also double check to make sure that your cpu cooler screws aren't hitting on the motherboard tray. Make sure that all PS2, serial and USB ports ARE properly grounded by the little springy tabs on the I/O backplate.

Lastly, if you have any doubts about the quality of your case, replace it. A case that isn't square, isn't sturdy, has protruding points or poorly finished edges is a prime candidate for a case that MAY cause grounding problems.

Sprint tabs????? I usually break them right out, oh oh! Those are some important statements man, i'm going to frame this post. :)

• 1 month later...

a little off the line, but not really at the same time...boy that was a mouth full. Don't forget to check the simple things. I've had system power switches short out hence always trying to turn off as soon as they are turned on. I'm sure that's not your case but don't forget the little things.

I know this is old, but it doesn't seem that anyone answered your question.

Motherboard stand-offs are the little hex screws that attach the motherboard to the tray on your case. They screw into the motherboard tray, and your motherboard screws go into them. They are usually made of brass.