Thermaltake Water cooling

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm gonna look at some of that Danger den stuff more in depth when I get a chance. Was planning on getting everything when I ordered parts for my build, but looks like this might not happen for a few months after.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sure I will get flamed for this post, but here goes.... As far as an all in one kit...the Bigwater 745 is a great start. Many people that have opinions about Thermaltake base it on reviews or experience with earlier products. The first bigwater kit worked, but was kind of lame. Wasnt much better than air cooling. The new kit has larger tubing and two radiators, high quality pump and improved parts. My brother uses one and I will have mine up very soon. Its true that if you buy the parts from Danger Den...you can build a much better rig, but for the $159.00 I spent for the kit, you cant buy crap. I checked out the swiftech kit and for the money I feel this is a better deal. It gets you started and as money allows, you can add to it or upgrade it as you see fit. Hope that helps.

Im sure I will get flamed for this post, but here goes.... As far as an all in one kit...the Bigwater 745 is a great start. Many people that have opinions about Thermaltake base it on reviews or experience with earlier products. The first bigwater kit worked, but was kind of lame. Wasnt much better than air cooling. The new kit has larger tubing and two radiators, high quality pump and improved parts. My brother uses one and I will have mine up very soon. Its true that if you buy the parts from Danger Den...you can build a much better rig, but for the $159.00 I spent for the kit, you cant buy crap. I checked out the swiftech kit and for the money I feel this is a better deal. It gets you started and as money allows, you can add to it or upgrade it as you see fit. Hope that helps.

This is true, however the first BW kit had something in its favor: silent operation.

The only real world thing I don't like about the big water kit, even this 745 one, is the use of the 1/4" tubing... and how slow the water runs in the system. It might be ok for the original design of cooling CPU and maybe another component, but trying to include more components in the watercooling cycle will be a bad idea. In other words it is a good start and might be the thing to do for the $$$, but it will be limited.

The kit will do the job very well, actually I have seen the original BW kit in work and it was not as bad as everyone said... and no, it was not worse if anyone was thinking :P But it just feels as if noise was the only thing behind it, not performance; the kit I saw performed a little better than a XP-90 with a good fan on top, minus the noise of course. This new design is a lot diferent and better, but I am sure you will want something with more performance after some time.

Good luck

This is true, however the first BW kit had something in its favor: silent operation.

The only real world thing I don't like about the big water kit, even this 745 one, is the use of the 1/4" tubing... and how slow the water runs in the system. It might be ok for the original design of cooling CPU and maybe another component, but trying to include more components in the watercooling cycle will be a bad idea. In other words it is a good start and might be the thing to do for the $$$, but it will be limited.

The kit will do the job very well, actually I have seen the original BW kit in work and it was not as bad as everyone said... and no, it was not worse if anyone was thinking :P But it just feels as if noise was the only thing behind it, not performance; the kit I saw performed a little better than a XP-90 with a good fan on top, minus the noise of course. This new design is a lot diferent and better, but I am sure you will want something with more performance after some time.

Good luck

I would like to clarify a few things. You seem to be mistaken about the kit. First off...it uses 3/8" tubing, not 1/4" like the old system. Second...the system uses 3 120mm fans that you cant even hear over the case fans. Third...I dont know about the old one, but this setup has been tested by several sites with added coolers for vid , etc and is rated very highly. My brothers stock cooler was keeping his cpu at 35 idle and around 50 under load. Now it runs around 15 at idle and never goes over about 20 under load. Again...we all agree that the old setup was no better than good air cooling. The Bigwater 745 is a great starter setup. In no way am I saying that it is as good or better than Danger Den, etc. , but it isnt trying to be. For $159.00 you get a hell of a good cooler with lots of options. For those of us on a budget, it works and works well. I would compare this to the Switech H20-220. They are almost identicle spec wise, but you get an extra single 120mm radiator with the bigwater 745.

You should have no problem. One thing I need to explain to you. Dont always listen to peoples opinions on these boards. If its Angry or Rgone , etc. than you can rest assured that they have first hand knowledge about the item in question and will give you accurate information. On the other hand...if johnnynoob using his parents puter responds take it for what its worth. Some people spend all day reading the forums and just regurgitate crap that they read somewhere else. Its usually wrong or missing facts and was most likely posted by johnny's brother. My brother has the Bigwater 745 on his Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe with a BFG 7900GTX, AMD X2 4800+, etc. and loves it. I am now setting one up on my DFI expert. Its a great bang for your buck.

I would like to clarify a few things. You seem to be mistaken about the kit. First off...it uses 3/8" tubing, not 1/4" like the old system. Second...the system uses 3 120mm fans that you cant even hear over the case fans. Third...I dont know about the old one, but this setup has been tested by several sites with added coolers for vid , etc and is rated very highly. My brothers stock cooler was keeping his cpu at 35 idle and around 50 under load. Now it runs around 15 at idle and never goes over about 20 under load. Again...we all agree that the old setup was no better than good air cooling. The Bigwater 745 is a great starter setup. In no way am I saying that it is as good or better than Danger Den, etc. , but it isnt trying to be. For $159.00 you get a hell of a good cooler with lots of options. For those of us on a budget, it works and works well. I would compare this to the Switech H20-220. They are almost identicle spec wise, but you get an extra single 120mm radiator with the bigwater 745.

I see... I think I read it was 3/8" but totally forgot about it.

Although the new temperatures of your brother's system doesn't match (15/20? the best watercooling still keeps max cpu temps 10° C above room temp, that means 5° C to have 15° C cpu temp) this new bigwater sounds promising.

I don't think its good comparison vs. the Swiftech H20-220, since that one has a more robust radiator (thick), fans and 100 times better water pump... but the $$$ could be the real diference.

When you install it come back and post your temperatures, I am trully interested in this kit... if not for my already watercooled main system then another one.

/Edit:

The 3/8" ID tubing is probably the best size: water ciculate faster in this diameter than in 1/2" and still shows similar restriction. There is the issue of weight, which with bigger diameter gives stress to the waterpump, an issue that exists with the 1/2" maybe.

im looking at the radiator as i type this and its the same size as the swiftech (thick). as for the pump. you might be right. the new one is much better than the old and has much higher flo rate. the tem. in my computer room is about 55F-60F so the temp of about 15c at idle is about right.