No Post with Opteron 165

the chance of this is very small, but i'd just throw it out there in case.

Take a look at your Opteron 165 pins at the bottom. Are there any missing pins. Maybe some of them broke off in your ASUS socket, so it can still boot there.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the chance of this is very small, but i'd just throw it out there in case.

Take a look at your Opteron 165 pins at the bottom. Are there any missing pins. Maybe some of them broke off in your ASUS socket, so it can still boot there.

nope, all pins are intact.

Guest shaolin95

This is the first time Ive ever heard this happen to be honest. With my ultra-d I was able to boot my opteron even though it had the stock BIOS. Then I flash it in order to recoginze the opteron 165 dual core without any problems. Hopefully someone will help you on this one.

Hi, dunno if this will help but Im semi rertarded and I had your problem with my single core opteron. I also have pc4000, and i got the same lights that you did. I threw in 512mb of some PC3200 in the closest to the edge memmory slot on the motherboard and it booted and I was able to install windows. Then I threw my PC4000 back in the orange slots on the board once everything was installed drivers etc and had no problems. Thought maybe this would work for you too. Worth a try Hope this helps.

Mine did the exact same thing, it was because I'm a n00b and didn't have BOTH the 24-pin and 4-pin 12v P adapters in. There should be four total. Once I added that 4-pin it booted right up.

Your cpu is fired 4 lights indicate that it can't detect the cpu you should try and call the company and get a replacement

The CPU works on his Asus board, and his Newcastle works on the DFI board, so it would appear that all of the hardware is functioning. It's just that the Opty and the DFI won't work together. It probably isn't a BIOS issue because the BIOS he's using should detect a DC Opty. It probably isn't a RAM issue because he has tried different combinations of RAM in different slots.

Is that about right?

I don't have any suggestions, but I thought I'd help a little with a summary of the problem to date.

Good luck. I'm interested to see the solution for this one.

Hmmm...I know it's an outside shot, but it seems that you've eliminated everything but the power supply. Have you tried the Opty/DFI with a different PSU?

Yeah, there are many users, like myself, using the 939 Opterons on these DFI boards. His CPU is fine. The board's diagnostic lights, when all four are up, do not necessarily indicate a hardware malfunction, particularly with the CPU, as with my case.