New build HDD question

I have a 250Gb HDD with 3 partitions on it, one of those contains windows and the other 2 contain games and other software. Is it possible for me to just formate the Windows partition and do a new build from there or would it just be safer to delete all of my partitions and start from scratch?

Wedge22

welcomeani.gif

To DFI-Street.

Yes you can format a single partition using the Windows install CD. What OS? I am presuming XP on a C: partition. If you are trying to recover a failed OS just do a reinstall of Windows on that partition or you can do D (for delete), enter, L, then C to recreate the partition, and format it. I always like to do a full format. If the other partitions have installed games, I’m not really sure how they will react after you do this. You may have to reinstall the games. If the other partitions just have data you will be fine. A third party utility like Partition Magic may do it also. I can not remember it’s been so long since I use Partition Magic. Then again if there is really nothing you need on any of the partitions delete all partitions and format the drive complete. If it is a second hand drive you got from somebody. I recommend doing a low-level format and run a diagnostic utility designed for your particular hard disk. This can take some time. Then run a high-level format with DOS or Windows install CD.

tasr :)

is there any kind of registry tool that copy reg. entries for certian programs/games? I keep games in a seperate place as well, and not re-installing them every time would be a great time saver...

Thanks guys I will just delete everything then. The HDD is in my current system but the windows partition is too small anyway so I may as well delete the lot, I believe that I can d/l a program from maxtor that allows me to prepare my HDD for a new install.

You don't need the utility from Maxtor to get your drive ready. Just go into your Boot Sequence and put your CD-ROM/DVD-RW first and boot up Windows Installation and delete all three partitions and create one partition or whatever you want to do again, and format NTFS and go from there.....