4GB Memory Problems re-Revisited

I realize that this topic has probably been beaten to death around here, but after searching the archives, I was still left with my problem and no solution as nobody here seemed to be in the same boat....

Basic really.

4 GB of Memory (4 x 1GB sticks), as per my signature....

- When all are installed....motherboard reports as 2GB @ post.

- Windows also reports 2GB in system properties.

- CPU-Z reports 4GB total.

I have tried switching slots, running 3 sticks....pretty much anything I could think of INCLUDING the memory remapping ENABLED in the BIOS.....but the most the baord will ever report @ post is 2GB.

I have also tried running the memory @ 333 - NO Luck.

Both sets of memory work great the have no errors when used by themselves...as I have switched them out to see if there is infact a dead set...or even a problematic stick....but NOTHING.

Any suggestions ?

Could the memory, as I suspect, not be compatible with this board when using, or trying to use 4GB ?

thanks in advance to the OCZ gods here...lol

Allan. :confused:

Well I know that Windows will only show 2gb unless you use the /3gb switch(google it). It uses 2gb for processes, and the other 2 for the kernel. If you use the switch, it gives you 3 and keeps 1 to itself.

Not sure about the mobo though.

I am more worried about getting the motherboard to recognize it, as once that happens, the rest is easy to get around. It still seems the motherboard, no matter what I try, only reports 2 GBs at post.

So even @ POST when the system tells me that I only have 2GB of memory when I have 4GB installed....the POST summary screen is wrong ?

I realize that this might be a glitch, but I would l like to know which part of the system to blame.

If the motherboard BIOS tells me that there are only 2GB installed......but CPU-Z tells me that 4GB are installed.....shouldn't the motherboard manufacturer remedy this with a BIOS update ?

As I said....I really don't care what Windows says......I CARE WHAT THE POST SCREEN SAYS. If the hardware can't get it right.....then how can I expect the rest of the system to ?

Although we have different brands of ram sticks, try Tony's 406 modded bios, I dont know if that is what you are using because your sig does not indicate it. Here is my OCDB entry and you might want to try it out. I used the XP64 and it runs well with my system, but currently I am using XP Pro with a RAID array with the same settings and it also runs well.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...4&postcount=197

Enabling MMIO in X64 will see 4GB for me. But in XP Pro enabling it will only see 3GB, if disabled will see 3.25. Both systems work will with my 4GB stable. Good luck. :)

It turns out that the problem is a known issue of the DFI board that I have.

Although my memory is IDENTICAL (all 4 sticks, 2 dual channel kits), 1 kit uses the dual channel part# in the SPD and the other kit uses the single stick part# in the SPD. This is because OCZ have stopped using the dual channel part# in the SPD programming and have switched to using the single stick part# for all the latest modules and they were not purchased at the same time.

Due to the small SPD difference with part #'s, the DFI board will NOT see all 4 sticks, although CPU-Z does....and it was CPU-Z that gave me the idea to call tech support in the first place.

Once I explained the problem, Sean from OCZ knew exactly what I was talking about and offered an immediate exchange, with my new ones arriving in about 36 hours from now, prior to me even sending my current modules back (with CC garuntee ofcource.....)

As I said, this is a known issue.

OCZ are sending me 4 NEW sticks that are all matched as part of the advanced priority shipping RMA service that is included with the Titanium series warranty. They are also going to pre-test all 4 sticks, so that i get a WORKING 4GB set.

I have to commend them on their end user service and it is clear in my mind that OCZ will definately get more of my money in the future because of their commitment and service alone.

Kudos! to OCZ....and Sean from OCZ Tech Support in particular.

Thanks to all who commented.

Allan