RAM Wont work (in certain slots)

@harris1986 assume from your oc in siggy that the dual channel thing has not always been an issue. out of interest what vcore have u been using & have u had to increase it?? Maybe it's an issue with the memory controller as you highlighted the cpu issue in your thread. Does it occur at stock speed or just on oc ??

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

er yep at least 99% of users. i've run on ultra-D + SLI-DR with opteron.

when u try to run in dual channel what settings are u using ??

Have you tried nudging up your memory volts to see if that gives any extra stability.

Is yours an Ultra-D modded to SLI?

I just did it after clearing the CMOS...

Oh, and could it be those voltage jumpers next to the RAM?

it's not the voltage jumper settings as these have remained untouched, the most i pushed through the cpu is 1.55v for a one off boot up to windows, day to day i run it at 2.8ghz with only 1.35v. The cpu is still prime stable even with the faulty memory controller and in single channel with the same clock! For me this is a definate cpu issue as stated in my thread i tried my cpu in my friends board and it wouldn't run (stock) in dual channel, yet his cpu in my board would run dual channel fine!

i ve run with both currently running sli-dr

was talking about memory voltage in bios. it sometimes happens on many boards not just dfi that it it takes slightly more voltage - looser timings to run dual channell.

i ve run with both currently running sli-dr

was talking about memory voltage in bios. it sometimes happens on many boards not just dfi that it it takes slightly more voltage - looser timings to run dual channell.

But it would at least boot no?

But it would at least boot no?
I've seen many pps have difficulties getting memory working, there are many reasons that can cause this.

I raised the voltage as this is the most common failure. much performance memory needs at least 2.7v to run. Many mobos if the voltage is left on auto use 2.5~2.6v (yet alone BH-5 or BH-6) this alone may cause a failure to run in dual channel.

1) It didnt work with pretty much all vs and timings

2) its not only dual channel that doesnt work...slots one and two dont either...but its not the mobos slots blown, b/c if i put on in the slot one and one in slot 4 (not dualchannel) it still doesnt work :(

To be blunt:

DON'T USE GENERIC RAM, if you do use it and can't even get to the BIOS then do a clear CMOS, then put in 1 stick in the slot furthest away from the CPU. If you then can enter the BIOS, raise the Vdimm to 2.8 and lower the timings.

1 or 2 sticks WILL NEVER WORK IN THE 2 SLOTS NEAREST THE CPU.

If you still have a problem, can't get a stable system/ can't run with more then one stick, do a memtest on each and if they pass that update the BIOS to the newest.

And please use proper PSUs, you can still get 3LEDS showing up because you don't have a good PSU. And please don't say "Duuuh, it's a 50000kW PSU!" because that might not cut it since you need amps people.

To be blunt:

DON'T USE GENERIC RAM

Im broke...sooo If you looked at my FS/FT thread and want to give me something better LMK! ;)

, if you do use it and can't even get to the BIOS then do a clear CMOS, then put in 1 stick in the slot furthest away from the CPU. If you then can enter the BIOS, raise the Vdimm to 2.8 and lower the timings.

Ive already done this...but I put the timings to auto, Il try 3-3-3-8 (stock 2.5-3-3-7) Sound good? or should I go looser?

1 or 2 sticks WILL NEVER WORK IN THE 2 SLOTS NEAREST THE CPU.

TYVM, that makes a lot of sense :D

If you still have a problem, can't get a stable system/ can't run with more then one stick, do a memtest on each and if they pass that

How far/long on the memtest?

update the BIOS to the newest.

It is

And please use proper PSUs, you can still get 3LEDS showing up because you don't have a good PSU. And please don't say "Duuuh, it's a 50000kW PSU!" because that might not cut it since you need amps people.

I know..this bugs the sht out of me too, and yes, I do have a good PSU, its an ePower cheetah (I think)