165 Opteron mania

It's crazy just crazy. I have been watching these chips on ebay now for a couple of weeks. I saw one sell (buy it now) for $500.00 dollars. One sale ended last nite $425.00 . Buy it nows for $450.00 It's has come to the point that if you don't boast 2.7GHz. your 1.8GHz. default speed chip is looked at as a POS. Even a 165 that OC's to 2.5GHz is a big POS. I'm fairly new to the computer building, OC'ing stuff, so my knowledge of past history of processors are limited. The last big craze I saw was for the 3500+Clawhammers CAA2C 0505FPMW that were doing 2.7GHz and some hitting 3GHz. plus on Xtreme cooling.

I guess this may be considered a sort of rant. Because I have a 165 that will do 2.55GHz. and once it's on water (waiting for new pump) it might do 2.6GHz. but I don't think it will unless I pump 1.6 plus volts through it. And I'm trying to sell it.

and it's probably not going to sell because I'm not claiming it will do 2.7GHz. plus.

Envious? Yes a bit. but I lucked out with the Clawhmmers and have a 2.7GHz plus chip. and I have a 3700+ that shows great potential. So all in all I've ended up with 2 great OC'ers and one the (165) that does 2.55GHz. a nice little OC from it's default speed of 1.8GHz. I'm just a bit irrated that a you can't sell a quality chip at a good price because of this Optty Craze.

That's your opinion and whoever that is selling $320 Opterons for over $400 is trying to rip others off. CPU speed doesn't have much to do with gaming at all. If you got a Single/Dual Core running at 2.6/2.7GHz then you're fine. The only reason i see a good use for higher clocks is for Encoding/Decoding movies/music and high end applications. Another thing that i've noticed is that many people go by Prime95/Memtest86 to say to themselves, "Oh since my system passed everything should work". Which is rather nonesense, if your games, applications, daily use runs stable at any clock you have your processor at then that's fine, who GAF about Prime/Memtest86 for 24hrs, i sure don't.....

That's your opinion and whoever that is selling $320 Opterons for over $400 is trying to rip others off....

My opinion is pretty much based on whats going on in every overclocking forum thats out there. As far as the prices these 165's are selling for. how is it a ripoff if you put a item up for bid and someone decides there going to bid $425.00 for it when you can get it for around $320.. brand new well thats the decision of the bidder. In a free market society, it comes down to what ever the consumer is willing to pay or whatever the market will bear. As long as people are willing to pay the inflated prices for these processors people will sell them for that price. Even the retailers are getting in on it Flickerdown $360.00 for a OEM 165. Eventually someone looking for a

165 DC Opteron 1.8GHz. processors will come along and I will sell mine and have the $ for my upgrade.

Correction Flickerdown no longer is selling the 165's for $360.00 they are now selling a different stepping for $350.00

I had that in mind, so let me get this straight. Someone claims that their Opteron can hit 3GHz so will it for the person that is buying it? I don't know man, sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I like your thread though don't get me wrong, i probably explained myself incorrectly to you, sorry. OEM are going for $370 WTF? Where.....?

I made a mistake on the price. It was $360.00 for a stepping that is considered to be tops. They are now selling 165's with different stepping for $350.00. These are OEM processors. go to ebay and type in 165 Opteron into search and check out the prices. These people are paying.

[H]Forums http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1050770

Hah, I got mine on ebay this sunday and recieved it yesterday. Paid $295 including shipping for a retail box w/ 3 year warranty from AMD and 6 months from newegg. It even arrived in perfect condition with the manual and Opteron sticker... a very nice sticker to have :). the AMD stickers on the box that seal the top+bottom aren't even cut. Its like the previous owner took his time taking the sticker off... which is pretty amazing considering that many people would prolly rip it off wanting to hold the cpu in their hands..lol. I looked at mine for a good minute and immediately put it in. I too kept the AMD seal intact since I am going to leave the box on top of my monitor for show :D...lol.

I have yet to see what power this stepping can do since I still ahve to get my power supply. From what I have seen for this stepping I should be able to do 2.6... which is my goal, nothing more. I'd like to see how far this thing could go,maybe 2.9 w/ water, but I'd be keeping this @ 2.6 once I get my power supply.

Guest YuKoN

not much different on many parts on ebay. many things go for retail or more- then you get bent over on the shipping. just like anything else- bid your set amount(keeping shipping in mind) and if it goes higher, well it's not the only one ever sold, on to the next one. shop smart- once in awhile you can snipe an auction for a good deal. :nod:

More fuel for the 165 mania. This was copied from a peraon FS post.

brand new Opteron 165 (OEM)

CCBBE isn't just a good stepping, it is the best!

There are rumors that AMD Binned 185 chips to make these!

CCBBE 0610DPMW

No matter whats going on with the 165's. They are awesome!

I feel sorry for all those people buying half a dozen chips to get tht golden one often killing the others in the process.

I will say that it is a lot cheaper and safer than some other hobbys. It is easy to spend 20K a year on motorcycle racing I have frends that spend 40k and more.

Yep, these Optys have definitely raised the bar for OC standards. I have a 170 that'll do 2950 and a 165 @ 2800. Nothing like a 65% OC...lol! It wasn't that long ago that 10-20% was considered pretty good.

so far I like my Opty 148....just having a hard time getting past 220fsb...? But I have a CAB2E 0549 stepping and with the right board (A new DFI) I should be good to go...;)