Which 7900gt should I buy?

the_PC_Chef

Ok, so my sweet deal on a 7900GT fell through (if its sounds to good to be true it usually is!). I need to get another in the next couple of days. Now, should I pay a little extra and get one that already comes with a little extra clock or should I just get the cheapest one I can find? Im probably gonna volt mod it eventually so Im wondering if maybe the ones that are stable at the higher clock stock would give me better numbers when modded? Im currenlty looking at the XFX 7900gt 550mhz.

I would get the cheapest one available today. I think they all should have good overclocking abilities to be honest with you. You might want to get a nice aftermarket cooler for it though, it'll help. :)

get the cheapest 7900GT you can find and then get this cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835118001

it's the best vga air cooler you can get.

I have an Asus 7900GT TOP edition, so theoretically it should have one of the better chips... and my OC's aren't anything too amazing. w/ the 1.5v mod I get 685 on the core 1700 on the RAM. I've seen better, but I'm not sure if they had the 1.55v mod or not

Guest Ryn
don't forget evga. they actually have the best warranty. It's lifetime, stepup, they cover oc'ing and changing the cooler which no other company does

Ditto! BFG and XFX are also good when it comes to warranty.

Well Legend has made theri 7900GT a 512MB card instead of a 256MB card and I dont know how OCing a gfxc works, but the 512 might make it easier to OC? Its also the cheapest 7900GT. :lol:

no, more memory won't make the card easier to OC, the core OC results should be about the same. However, when they double the amount or RAM sometimes they put slower RAM on the card and have the frequency a bit slower, so the RAM may OC less

Thanks for all the help, I decided to go with (drum roll please)... XFX PV-T71G-UDE7 GeForce 7900 GT! They have them at zipzoomfly for $289 w/ free shipping. Here is the link:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...te=pricegrabber

Its the 520MHz version, and was the cheapest I could find, so Im very happy. Plus I get a free copy of Tomb Raider Legend. I almost went w/ EVGA for the step-up program, but in all likely hood I probably wont be able to keep myself from volt modding it. Now I just need to get my hands on one of those coolers...