windows pro 64

does this board rdx 200 can that run on windows profesional 64 bit because it didnt say it could in the man ual and i herd 64 bit doesnt have much driver support does anyoen run 64bit on theres rite now for proof it does

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am running xp64 on mine with very good results. I had a few minor driver issues but they're all resolved now. Just make sure you visit the hardware manufacturers' websites for the latest drivers. The autoplay.exe file on the driver cd-rom doesn't work with xp64 so you have to do the install manually.

There are no x64 bit drivers on that CD as far as I know. They must come from ATI or DFI downloads.

I take part of that back as there is an x64 bit folder on that CD but I used the ones downloaded from ATI.

RGone...

The lan drivers are in the southbridge x64 drivers in folder on the CD that came with the board and should install with the chipset/system drivers. But like I said I went to ATI site and downloaded the newer x64 bit drivers for ATI chipset mobo/x64 bit and IGP and got the newer drivers that way. At least that is how I remember it. If not it is an x64 bit driver I got from the marvel site for x64 bit. I am no longer on that board and the stuff is on a set of raided drives for RDX200 that I cannot get to at this time to check what the heck I used.

RGone...

X64 Professional isn't so fast as XP Professional. Is this right?

I have heard, X64 aren't 100% ready for 64-bit systems.

XP x64 runs 32bit software through an emulator. Software runs ~ equal in speed to XP pro, although some things are slightly slower (and apparently some things are slightly faster, too). However, 64bit software will fly (depending upon exactly what the software is, as not all things gain equally from the 64bit architecture). Also, XP x64 seems to use more RAM. I, personally, find it to be more stable, but with all things, YMMV.

The only good example I can give for speed is my graphics engine I've been writing.

The 32bit .exe is slightly slower (a couple of %) in x64 than x32, but 64bit .exe is about 20-25% faster in x64 compared to the 32bit in x32.

in everyones oppinion is it worth the trouble to switch to a 64 bit OS and also rite now im running jsut plain xp 32 is it worth the thole reformatign and then installing all the other programs again

My experience with xp64 has been great. Aside from one device that I am not using anyway, I had no trouble getting drivers for my hardware.

It seems worth it to me, no stability issues and it seems fast (though my recent build was such an upgrade over my previous system that everything seems fast now).