video card questions....

Reapergato

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is that true with all the makers of the 7900?

1.4ns memories= faaaaast

see a lot of 7900GTs with 1700-1800+mhz memory speed with no volt mods. The 7800GTs have either 1.6ns or 2.0ns and lots of them top out at 1200mhz-1300mhz or so. I had to volt-mod mine to hit 1400mhz, still 100 slower than stock 7900GT speed! (and probaby with crappier timings). also new PCB on the 7900s, so definitely the way to go for the $$$

well id probably be getting a HD capture or tuner card unless a video card with vivo would eliminate the need.... i would be hooking up a COMCAST digital cable HD box....

I'm kinda unsure about this - but it depends on how you would be hooking it up - if its thru s-video or rca connections, then you should be able to work it with VIVO (I still have no idea how to use the VIVO on my card tho, lol)

XFX XXX edition of the 7900gt would be your best bet also, I know it doesn't have VIVO (the new ones might come with it, i think, in NZ we cant get the VIVO ones yet), but its the fastest stock-spec'd 7900gt on the market atm, which means it was probably speed binned with a better GPU/memory. Personally, that would be my pick.

If you can't afford it, get the Extreme edition (the next one down).

If you're going to use one card, get the ATI X1900XT or X1900XTX.

If you're going to SLI your cards, get a pair of eVGA 7900GTX cards ... and get a PCP&C 510ASL as the very minimum PSU for your system. If you think you need more power, then get the PCP&C 850W model.

I checked with the eVGA techies and the PCP&C 510ASL should run two 7900GTXs without any problems ... 34A and 38A on the two +12V rails is enough.

Yep, I found a couple of games that crater my 7800GTXs ... Oblivion is one of them ... so I'm looking to upgrade to the 7900GTX 512M cards.

I think AnandTech's website (www.anandtech.com) has a couple of Oblivion articles on it. They like ATI (it's obvious) but they don't cheat on the numbers so you can look and make up your own mind.

Careful with the current crop of eVGA 7900GT overclocked cards... a lot of people are complaining about artifacts at their "stock factory overclock" speeds.The vertex clocks seem to be presenting the biggest headaches as they run ~50MHz higher than core clock. The AIC's have complained that they didn't have enough time to do rigorous testing due to NVIDIA's rollout timetable. NVIDIA retorts saying that some companies have simply pushed their overclocks too high. Much less problems have been reported with the 7900GTX cards but they come at a higher cost.

I've had 2 pairs of 7800GTX cards since their launch last year and haven't experienced any problems. The only difference I see between the 78 & 79 series shows up in benchmarks, not in games. At the risk of starting a debate, can anyone possibly see the difference between say - 110FPS & 124FPS :)

I am very happy w/ my single 7900gt 500/1500. In my collection of graphic's cards it is the coolest running and most powerful. I havent tried overclocking it yet really no need. It plays everything I have very well. 101k aquamamarks not bad at all .