Do I need any tweaks to help XP use more of my 2 gigs of ram?

Guest shaolin95_merged

Guest shaolin95

Just wondering that...

actually you want XP to use as little ram as possible that way its reserved for gaming and other programs. I have my windows tweaked down to about 75MB used on startup so i have the rest of my 2GB for gaming/photo editing/videos/etc.....

Guest shaolin95

I meant to make sure it doesnt use my swap file unless its reallly needed. BTW, what are you doing to lower it to 75-85?

cutting out startup progams, services, and other misc garbage things that arent needed but mainly startup progams and services.

I wouldnt mind putting together a tweak guide on the forums to accompany AG's video. If anyone wants to send me your tweaks to cut down on the following:

minimize boot time

ram used by os

overall speed of os, like the GUI and what not.

Ill compile them and put up a guide on the forums.

Guest shaolin95

Thats cool as there are many outhere but mostly out dated myths so a nice guide created here is cool. Anyway, about making sure XP uses the swap file only when needed...how you do it?

no matter what at some point the swap file is going to get used. there really is no way to restrict it to physical memory or force it to use more that im aware of. Most apps tend not to work properly if they dont have access to a page file.

Id say you have 2GB of ram, most games are going to use it combined with the pagefile regardless.

Applications like photoshop, dvd shrink, and such ive noticed on my machine at least tend to use the page file exclusively aside from the initial app load.

windows will use a combination of ram and pagefile for loading and unloading depending on how the programs its using is written.

*sidenote* - good reading for those that are always looking for that "edge." http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html