There is no reason to buy nforce 4 sli chipset motherboards, ati rd580

Rd480

Ati xpress 3200 chipset crossfire motherboards can run sli, and ati crossfire, nforce4 sli cannot run ati crossfire, .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....&SubCategory=22

those are the best overclocking coolest running motherboards on the market^^

you can run dual 7900 gtx in sli on a ati xpress 3200 motherboard.

nvidia enabled 3rd party sli support for uli and ati chipsets and intel .

Yes and no, Nvidia let a "patch" slip out to enable SLI support for the northbridge ULI chipset. But since then, with their latest drivers they no longer support ULI SLI. Nvidia never supported SLI on an ATI chipset, what r u smokin? Give me some lol

Yes and no, Nvidia let a "patch" slip out to enable SLI support for the northbridge ULI chipset. But since then, with their latest drivers they no longer support ULI SLI. Nvidia never supported SLI on an ATI chipset, what r u smokin? Give me some lol

with that patch anandtech.com say sli works on crossfire boards.

Yeah there is 2 patches, the 1st being for uli specific, some peeps got hold of an asus driver that enabled it, which in turn they made a program to doit on other drivers.

The 2nd being a hacked ver of that patch thingy, which supports ALL chipsets.

I got both patches btw, however I forot about them, plus thae fact I have'nt had time to play around with that stuff, video card stuff that is.

So I have'nt looke at the offsets to be patched and what not.

So who knows just how long these programs will work, it is again unknown how long it'll work if you did it by hand as well.

So yeah, you can at leat patch some if not all ver's of the forceware drivers right now, that work for your specific card and such, to work on your chipset enabling sli.

The crossfire boards, I don't see why those ati's could'nt do crossfire on the nf4's.

All they are is backplane pci, not pci-e but it may be compatible, if not, it could fit within the pci-e lans with ease(since it's much slower then pci-e).

Nv using pci-e to do sli, with that bidge, and they can also doit bridgeless if there is enough pci-e lanes.

This is all public info btw.

I wish that the lpb had an igp chipset or 2 agp slots.

The old abit nf7's had an igp though, if someone were clever enough, they could enable sli with 1 agp card and using the intergrated gf4mx.

Wierd combination but hey ^^, and no the card don't need matching speeds or id's or even need to be the same cards at all.

That's just built into the driver as a stupid protection.

Most of it should be gone by now anyways.

If I remember correctly, nah I can't really remmeber at all, ohwell lol.

nvidia enabled 3rd party sli support for uli and ati chipsets and intel .

Ok but this statement is still very misleading. There might be 3rd party hacks to enable SLI on whatever chipset. But Nvidia never enabled this.

Ati xpress 3200 chipset crossfire motherboards can run sli, and ati crossfire, nforce4 sli cannot run ati crossfire, .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....&SubCategory=22

those are the best overclocking coolest running motherboards on the market^^

you can run dual 7900 gtx in sli on a ati xpress 3200 motherboard.

Except for the fact they're having some issues currently because they're so new...

As for being the "best overclocking" and "coolest running"...only time will tell that. ;)

The thing that keeps me from trying an ATI based board is price. If they would come out with a 3200 board with one pcie 16x slot for around $100, then we're on to something. But as it is now, if you're running 1 video card, there are quite a few good nf4 Ultra boards that can be had for around $100 or even less.

here's what I'll do

once I finish this 24h Prime95 run on the CFX3200-DR, I will put 6600GT SLI cards in it, and we'll see if it will run SLI

but

I think I better clarify some of your statements

the CFX3200-DR is NOT a higher performing chipset than the NF4 (trust me on this...at stock/defaults, my NF4 boards still outperform this CFX3200-DR)

the CFX3200-DR is NOT a higher overclocking motherboard than the NF4 at the momet. In time maybe...but you need to be subjective about saying something so general as "better overclocking motherboard", when the NF4 is a mature platform and many many of us have figured out how to overclock these mothers better than any previous platform...but we are getting into a range of peaking out on our overclocks.

IE: it doesn't really matter what motherboard/cpu/memory you use now...you aren't going to see but a 1%-5% difference in max overclocks between different platforms.

I mean, there is just no way that a new chipset is going to allow you to trounce your previous overclock by a big number using the same cpu/memory. It just isn't going to happen.

Maybe the AM2's will show a big difference, but again that is doubtful. The big difference you are going to see is when AM2 matures in their mfg process (ie: higher yields on better wafers) and moves to 65nm.

Just like Newcastle/Clawhammers...they overclocked, but not so good compared to Venice/San Diego, and the V/SD overclocked well but the new Opteron 939's usually can trounce them

did it take a new motherboard to show this?

no

it just took new cpu's to show this

then take memory...you use (for example) BH-5 on your original NF4 Ultra-D...and can get 257 @ 1:1, 2-2-5-2 out of it

move it to your Expert, and maybe you could only get 251 out of it

move it to your Venus and get 259 out of it

move it to your RDX200 and get 245 out of it

move it to your CFX3200-DR and get maybe 261 out of it

where's the big difference?

ah....there is none!

basically my point is, it isn't such a good idea to run through the streets proclaiming this new board is the overclocking master that will destroy all competitors

because that just isn't gonna happen, sorry

the CFX3200-DR looks so far (from my testing) to be a decent board, but I'm not super-impressed with it yet (compared to my original NF4 Lanparty Ultra-D/SLI-DR's etc).

maybe once I get some Crossfire video cards, and then once ATI matures their Crossfire drivers as well as game devs mature their Crossfire code (like they have for SLI), then we'll see some goodness...but for now... I still use the Lanparty NF4 as my main rigs throughout the house (and Lanparty 875A Pentium4 3.4Ghz as my server)