Slow shutdown

Asked the mods to move this from amd overclocking. Sorry about this.

Post #1 Am just doing an install of xp32 and 64. One of the reasons for this was that the shutdown was incredibly slow.

Well fresh install and same problem. Not sure from memory (mine that is, not comp) whether this slowdown has come about since I've moved from the expert to ultra-d.

I know there are quite a few other threads on this matter. Just wondered if anyone has since found a solution.

Thanks ahead.

RLM

Post #2

Update: msconfig, cleared all but microsoft system processes. It's a fresh install so there wasn't much to clear.

Removed the ide and floppy connection from motherboard.

Reflashed bios 2005-11-14

Removed one stick of ram.

Removed all usb, but keyboard and mouse. (Haven't installed drivers for these yet)

Removed internet/lan cable.

Checked rhe registry. Can't remember the exact name but virtual mem backup was already set to 0/disabled.

Rant on

Still a slow shutdown. Never in all my years of installing fresh installs have I come across this. I'm starting to believe it's a hardware/motherboard issue. It's certainly a waste of my time. Had I known that I would of still had slow shutdowns, I would skipped the fresh OS install and just done some work instead.

Rant off

One sympton is that during shutdown the memory leds (corsair) seems to be very busy.

Any help, or confirmation of an Ultra-D trait would be greatly appreciated. If it is an Ultra-D trait, then I can stop arsing about, and learn to live with it.

RLM

Light at the end of the tunnel.

Just did a boot in safemode. Hit restart, and it was as a quick as a flash.

Need to find that offending process :confused:

RLM

in my experience peerguardian and norton av are notorious for that. could be a driver also...i have a dislike of creative products , and is that the driver version on ur videocard? looks a bit old. ur prolly on the right track with a process running tho so maybe run "hijack this" and maybe u can see more of whats going on....

Cheers for the feedback Function8.

Haven't installed my creative drivers yet. Thing is in msconfig, all processes, excluding essentials are disabled. (Well not at this moment as I'm online, but in my tests)

Don't use Norton anymore. have mcafee, but again this is prevented from starting up in msconfig.

Even uninstalled graphics drivers.

RLM

Well it's crystal clear now.

UPHClean brought up this in the Event viewer.

The following handles in user profile hive *********************************************** have been remapped because they were preventing the profile from unloading successfully:

svchost.exe (1036)

HKCU (0x378)

*=comp name etc.

UPHClean is a diagnostic app/service, which will also force services to close, freeing up ram and shutting down the system. Seems to work

However WTF is svchost.exe (1036)?

I know it's blasphemy, but I still suspect that it's a conflict brought on by this motherboard or it's conflict with other hardware. It's only the same install I've done a number of times on my asus'es and it's never been a problem. Why now?

Anyway, if you do have a similar issue, I'd recommend installing UPHClean. :)

RLM

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

Right you can forget that UPHClean. Didn't really make the slightest difference.

Was suffering with a bit of instability in everyday work/usage and the shutdowns were really starting to get on my nerves. Sometimes taking several minutes.

So I stuck the expert board back in. Did it make any difference? Well no not straight away. However, I re-installed the dual OS x32 and x64 and everything is now tikadeeboo. Shutdowns are as they should be.

What does this say to me? Well the Ultra-D possibly has a problem, or causes a problem/corruption during installation of windows XP. Don't know why exactly, but interesting that the problem carried over to the expert board, until I did a fresh install. Please remember I did numerous installs on the Ultra-D to no avail. I just wonder now, if I stuck the Ultra-D back in with current OS, whether it would shut down properly.

Would be nice to put this issue to bed.

RLM

Logger,

Cheers for that, but I also tried all those regedits to no avail.

Worth having that link though, as it might help someone else.

Cheers

RLM

Guest Ryn

You can also try this tweak to speed up your shutdown. Go to 'control panel' and click on the 'sounds and audio devices', click on the 'sounds' tab. On the 'program events' click on the 'exit windows' and on the drop-down list below it select none. Hope this helps.

I have an Ultra-D and I experience this once in while, it'll hang long enough that I actually click the start menu and shut it down twice (and it still hangs for another 30 seconds).

I also have another pc that until recently was my main rig, and I've had the problem intermittently on that one as well for years. I'm pretty sure it's either Norton or Powerdesk that causes it.

Because it does it on two of my pc's with entirely different configurations (old pc is a P4 on a gigabyte mobo) I'm certain it's software and not hardware. It seems to sort itself out though, as it only happens maybe once every 20 shutdowns or so.

I did have a period of a few days with the old pc where the slow shutdown stayed constant but then it just cured itself, and it only shows up every once in a while now.

Good luck with it.

Ryn, that's an interesting one. Hadn't considered that. I'm back on the expert now anyway, and as said all seems fine for the mo. I do know that creative cards have their issues. Had a few probs with my Asus card and creative drivers.

ronin688,

I have expereinced that as well, however the shutdown issue was a bit different. It would get to the windows shutting down page no probs, then it would stay like that for an absolute age. I've got corsair memory with LED's, so I could see that the memory was very busy during this duration. A process basically wasn't terminating properly. (Guessing?)

From my conclusion, and I appreciate it's not 100%, it is a hardware problem though. I do exactly the same installs on both the expert and the ultra-d. The expert no problems, the ultra-d problems. It's good that fixes are being suggested, but I do ask myself why should you have to?

I think you also have to take into account that one ultra-d isn't going to be the same as another. I'm coming to the conclusion, it's almost the same as buying cpus. i.e. A model from june last year, might perform better than one produced in December last year. I am guessing here though.

Anyways, waffling. Cheers for the feedback and help folks. Appreciated :)

RLM