Networking Question... Is this possible?

I want to be able to share all of MY hard drives between my two computers. Is it possible to do it like this:

network7yz.png

Do I need any special cables or anything?

This would be a gigabit connection between my 2 computers right?

Actually it would be better and less time consuming to setup if you put all 3 computers to the router and then all three computers could be shared if you chose to do so and then also any of the 3 could reach the net more easily. WinXP on all 3 rigs makes it easier too.

RGone...

You will need a crossover cable for the connection between your two computers.

You will also need to share the hard drives on one computer and map them on the other. I'm sure you know how to do this but I thought I'd throw it out there.

As for it being a gigabit connection between the two computers, as long as both adapters support a gigabit connection, yes.

I want to be able to share all of MY hard drives between my two computers. Is it possible to do it like this:

network7yz.png

Do I need any special cables or anything?

This would be a gigabit connection between my 2 computers right?

Actually you can always restrict your sister from your machines with either

shares or user acess.

You seem to want to set up a gateway. This is tedius.

The best way would be to get:

Linksys BEFSX-41 router.

Netgear GS108 gig switch

Plug all the machines into the gig-switch, then plug the router into the switch.

Of course the CableModem plugs into the router. No need for any crossover

or special cables, cat-5 is all you need.

Linksys BEFSX-41 router is very good. If you get it be sure to flash it with

firmware: 1.51.00_hb, Sep 09 2004 (check the thread on it at www.dslreports.com)

The Netgear GS108 is an 8 port gig switch. It has no loud fans and works excellent.

Stay away from any Linksys switches with their loud fans and overheat problems.

I have had this setup for a year and a half and have 6 machines on the switch.

I haven't checked lately but routers aren't usually giga, usually they are the 10/100.

The Netgear is 10/100/1000 auto-sense/switching. Straight cat-5 cable is all you need.

And I believe that switch and router can both be purchaced for around $100 combined,

not sure. I haven't had one bit of problems with this combination. The switch works very

good with the Nvidia lan as well. No problems there.

If you get this, you may want to plug the router and switch power converters into a

common power strip that you can just turn off and on to reset. I reset every 3 months or

so wether it needs it or not.

Just throwing this out there, the Netgear GS108 is a cheap switch that gives you gig

connect and seems like all you really need.

He would be wasting his hard earned money if he went that route.

Assuming that he has the typical WRT54G model router and doesn't care about a gigabit connection, he could setup a network just like RGone described. It already has 4 10/100 full duplex ports.

If he does care about a gigabit connection, I'd still suggest going the crossover route. Less money, less time setting things up and his sister won't have access.

Thats for the help everyone. I dont have a crossover cable and I dont really care too much about gigabit I just thought it'd be cute to have ;)

I'm just going to plug them all into the router then. (hey they all get internet that way too!)

You will also need to share the hard drives on one computer and map them on the other. I'm sure you know how to do this but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I think this is what I was not doing correctly. Thanks!

Guest SuppA-SnipA

just go all pcs through router, and share c: simple

can u tell Me how to restrict? lol

just go all pcs through router, and share c: simple

can u tell Me how to restrict? lol

That is what I had done originally but I was denied access to all folders except "Documents and Settings/All Users" hopefully mapping the network drive will fix this.

Update: I have set up a home network on both of my computers. In "My Network Places" I can see both computers.

On my second computer (nF3 250GB) I have 2 partitions, one with Windows and one for Storage. In 'My Computer' I right click each drive -> Sharing & Security -> And check off both boxes.

On my first computer (nF4 Ultra-D) I can see both the drives I shared. So far so good.

mynetworkplaces7uy.png

I then did as was suggested and 'Mapped The Network Drives'. The drives now show up in my computer.

mycomputer8wr.png

When I try to access 'Windows XP Pro nF3' I am denied access to all folders except the following:

"Documents And SettingsAll Users"

"Documents And SettingsDefault User"

I can access everything on Temp. Does anyone know what is preventing me from accessing the entire windows drive?

A little disappointed you won't use a gig switch. No problem though.

You can't share a local drive $C,$D etc...

The phrase 'map' a drive is a local mapping of a shared network resource.

As far as a wase of money, don't know of any routers that have gig connect.

I may be wrong. A simple $15 netgear gig pci card would work in the 250.

And it would transfer up to the limit of your hardrive capacity. Todays

cheap sata II in raid0 would approach gig allowing transfer of an 8gig file in

<5 minutes. Perfect for dvd movies. Its all cheap nowadays. No need to limit

yourself. Shares will always be the same no matter what.

He would be wasting his hard earned money if he went that route.

Assuming that he has the typical WRT54G model router and doesn't care about a gigabit connection, he could setup a network just like RGone described. It already has 4 10/100 full duplex ports.

If he does care about a gigabit connection, I'd still suggest going the crossover route. Less money, less time setting things up and his sister won't have access.

Whats a good way to setup up the gateway?