Upgraded cooling options

blinky

As per everyone else your temperatures are too high, and there could be several reasons for it.

You have obviously considered poor heatsink contact, so the only other options I would look at are poor case air flow or probably poor IHS contact.

The Opteron in my sig although being single core had very poor IHS contact so out came a wilkinson sword razor blade and off came the IHS :D

Dear All,

Long time without a post. :rolleyes:

As can be seen from my sig I'm currently running an Opteron 165 with a XP90 and a 43cfm Panaflo 92mm fan. I've been playing about with my overclocks and it will run stable at 290x9 @1.4V but the load temperatures are too high (60+ C). I have tried refitting the heatsink but no change in temperature was observed and I always use the recommended amount of AS5. At the moment I've scaled the overclock back while I consider my options (250x9 1.3V, 38C idle)

I do have a 120mm SilenX 64cfm fan which I can mount on the XP90 but from previous experience of it with the XP90 and the Opteron 146 it didn't drop the temperatures. I am unsure if this is due to improper air flow (turbulence) or I'm hitting the limit of the heatsink or aircooling (not a sufficent temperature difference between case air temp and heatsink).

Would changing to a Scythe Ninja, Vapochill Micro or Zalman 9550 make any appreciable difference? Or should I be looking at watercooling?

TBH I'm always shyed away from water because I don't want to take the risk and the expense. Being my first watercooled system I would be looking at a kit. The Gigabyte galaxy and the XSPC X2O kit have been getting good reviews at a reasonable price. In addition these have adaptors which allow you to put the 120mm onto a 80mm exhaust fan (which my Lian Li has and I don't want to cut it up).

All advice would be greatfully received.

I noticed in your sig the chip you are running....that is just a hot running chip...I would be willing to bet you that a different chip would not run that hot...reason I say that is because I have tested 11 different opterons and the 0550VPMW the 0550UPMW and the 1 you are running seem to be the hottest chips out there...