Sign in to follow this  
blinky

Upgraded cooling options

Dear All,

Long time without a post. :rolleyes:

As can be seen from my sig I'm currently running an Opteron 165 with a XP90 and a 43cfm Panaflo 92mm fan. I've been playing about with my overclocks and it will run stable at 290x9 @1.4V but the load temperatures are too high (60+ C). I have tried refitting the heatsink but no change in temperature was observed and I always use the recommended amount of AS5. At the moment I've scaled the overclock back while I consider my options (250x9 1.3V, 38C idle)

I do have a 120mm SilenX 64cfm fan which I can mount on the XP90 but from previous experience of it with the XP90 and the Opteron 146 it didn't drop the temperatures. I am unsure if this is due to improper air flow (turbulence) or I'm hitting the limit of the heatsink or aircooling (not a sufficent temperature difference between case air temp and heatsink).

Would changing to a Scythe Ninja, Vapochill Micro or Zalman 9550 make any appreciable difference? Or should I be looking at watercooling?

TBH I'm always shyed away from water because I don't want to take the risk and the expense. Being my first watercooled system I would be looking at a kit. The Gigabyte galaxy and the XSPC X2O kit have been getting good reviews at a reasonable price. In addition these have adaptors which allow you to put the 120mm onto a 80mm exhaust fan (which my Lian Li has and I don't want to cut it up).

All advice would be greatfully received.

Well I always heard that the ZALMAN RESERATOR 1 Fanless Water Cooling System is very reliable, reasonable price, and cools your proc and grfx well. I know that you live in the U.K. but based on newegg (american online store only sorry :nod: ) the price is 192 american dollars (use a converter for euro) which is a good price for the performance and quality given. Just type in the w/c name and look for a review and read for yourself. Beter yet go here: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7-62910...?tag=cnetfd.ld4

* please note that the price of the w/c is different then what they posted on their site so dont let the 300 american dollar thing scare you it should only cost you around 220 dollars american.

But you're only cooling 1 core...

From what I've read about the Zalman water stuff it isn't that good and it's quite pricey over here.

Im cooling an opteron 165 at the moment as well and in the early stages of overclocking.

Right now im testing 260HTT on 9/10 divider to get 2340MHz (x9 multi) Im using 3.0v vdimm and 1.475v vcore. The scythe ninja is Excellent at cooling! Ive gone from using the stock heatsink on a 3700 SD to this and im overwhelmed at the difference (in noise as well as cooling). on stock 1.33v temps were 26c idle 35c load. Right now at 1.475v im at 32c idle 40c load. Load being defined as two instances of prime95 being run with large FFT test, max heat generated.

The only disadvantage about using this cooler is that because the fan is mounted sideways in the case the PWMIC gets little or no airflow consequently its at 60c right now.. which cant be good.

Are the any good ways to reduce PWMIC temps?

your temps seem kind of high, for your opty 165, and the xp-90. perhaps a fan with a higher cfm might do you better? or some cable management for better airflow?

i would think any of the options you are looking at are very good, i am partial to the 9500 for an aircooled solution.

as far as wc'ing most people here will say a DD setup would be best.

i am still confused, however at your high temps, your low volts, and the xp-90, as it is one of the most reccommended air coolers on this forum.

what are you useing to measure your temps?

Is that an xp-90 or an xp-90c? The standard Opteron 165 HSF is really good. I've heard that it outperforms the standard xp-90. Perhaps you should stick it back on and do a comparison for us all?

In fact, please do these tests:

1) Opteron 165 with stock HSF.

2) XP90

3) Opteron 165stock HSF with 120mm

4) XP90 with 120mm

Let us know how it goes!

Another note: without taking into account any factors which affect temps, you'll have difficulty comparing your temps to anyone elses:

1) dual core/single core

2) chip steppings

3) Cooling method

4) Ambient temps

5) THermal grease

6) Motherboard sensors may affect cooling readouts

7) IHS removed?

8) Lapped heatsink?

your temps are defo too high. whats your case temps and ambient air temps like?

i would say that you probably had a bad IHS contact. now removal is probably something you wont want to do(i could be wrong)so then some more serious cooling is required than air. coz if your xp90 is not keeping your temps down below 50 then other air coolers will only offer similar results --- they certainly arent going to knock like 10c off your temps! water could be a good option - but if your IHS is a poor contact then theres no guarantee that you will see any significant improvement.

have you considered phase? check out extreme prometeia.com

they have all your hearts desires and more.

no DONT open the side of your case. if air does not circulate it collects around components in warm pockets. that is why the case and fans are there. unless you put cooling directly onto the system ie mb, pwmic etc then you NEED airflow created by having the case closed and the fans changing the air pressure.

Thats the point. If he's getting no circulation, the enclosed case may be holding the hot air inside. I've seen systems where opening the side of the case allowed the hot air to escape, dropping CPU temps by 10c.

It's a test, not a solution. If the test results show better temps, he's sure to need upgraded case fans (or perhaps to ensure the case fans are pointed in the right direction)