7900gtx vs x1900xt

red930

118 members have voted

1. 1.

• 7900gtx
    • x1900xt

another one of my forum spanning threads... sry about this

like the question says, 7900gtx or x1900xt? note that i will consider sli/crossfiring these cards.

specifically to technodan, can i get your 7900gtx number? well like which card it is? i noticed ur high clocks and was interested...

and i hear the ati cards are better geared towards eye candy, but nvidia is good for res.. feedback?

thx and sry for the spam

EDIT i dont care about fps i care about performance+eye candy+best bang for buck.

specifically to technodan, can i get your 7900gtx number? well like which card it is? i noticed ur high clocks and was interested...

Mine is just the run-of-the-mill standard 7900GTX from evga, haven't clocked it very much actually...

In any case I cose it over Ati because I didn't care for the drivers that they use, I had an X1800XL for a time which was a prety decent card, but I just like the interface of nvidias better I guess.

As far as I know I think the Ati is probably still better at shaders than nvidia, but honestly I don't know and really don't care. :)

Edit: (11 hours later..)

I see you also intend to go Sli/Crossfire. I'd definitely get the nvidia then, as i have yet to see a really good Crossfire baord yet, and DFI happens to have a couple great Sli boards. :) Plus haven't there been some issues with Crossfire and some games? Maybe that was a while ago...

the eye candy on the ATI x1k is better then nvidia,

i have test a X1300 in my box, and the eye candy whi out AA and AF was twice the eye candy of my 6600GT

and maybe ATI is gonna relased drivers that can add PhysX to the X1k series,

but again thats just rummors

I have owned both cards. I just sold the X1900XTX. I have read in numerous forums and reviews that the ATI image quality is better. My personal experience? On a Dell 2405fpw, I could not tell the difference. I am sure their probably is one. If you get two identical systems with two identical monitors and play the same game side by side with both cards, you could probably point out subtle differences in image quality. But here is the thing: the 7900GTX, just by itself, looks great, totally awesome, no actual problems, issues or complaints whatsoever. Nobody can tell me that they look at the 7900gtx image quality and say "boy, that sure looks crappy". It's a high end top of the line card and every game I own looks fabulous on it. My point is whatever image quality differences there are don't really matter that much (to me) in the end.

Where I could tell a difference was with heat and noise. The ATI card is hot and loud as hell (at load temps...it's fine at idle, but who buys a $500 video card to let it sit in 2D mode all the time). I even tried buying an Accelero X2 aftermarket cooler on the X1900XTX and that was a nightmare. Sure, it was quiet, but my gpu and nf4 chipset temps went up 10C!!! The Accelero exhausts hot air down, which on most DFI boards is right onto the Chipset cooler. I threw that piece of crap (the Accelero X2) in the garbage can; it would have been dishonest to sell it to some other poor sap.

So, in case you haven't guessed by now, I prefer the nVidia card. And please don't call me an nVidia fanboy. Fact is I have sworn by ATI cards for years. I think I have just finally had it with the Catalyst Control Center, and the soaring temps and loudness of the X1900XTX was the final straw for me.

'nuff said

Mine is just the run-of-the-mill standard 7900GTX from evga, haven't clocked it very much actually...

In any case I cose it over Ati because I didn't care for the drivers that they use, I had an X1800XL for a time which was a prety decent card, but I just like the interface of nvidias better I guess.

As far as I know I think the Ati is probably still better at shaders than nvidia, but honestly I don't know and really don't care. :)

Edit: (11 hours later..)

I see you also intend to go Sli/Crossfire. I'd definitely get the nvidia then, as i have yet to see a really good Crossfire baord yet, and DFI happens to have a couple great Sli boards. :) Plus haven't there been some issues with Crossfire and some games? Maybe that was a while ago...

well like ill wait for the kinks to be worked out.. just as sli had a few kinks in the beginning cf has a few kinks also...

so yours is a stock 650/1600? oced all the way to 1920? damn.. thats why i was asking. 1920 is a lot.

yup, but the xt for me is 275... would u recommend me getting one for now and waiting for the prices to drop to cf it or

would you advise me to get the xt (or xtx), sell it on ebay, and use that to get a 7900gtx? thanks for your advice.

I have owned both cards. I just sold the X1900XTX. I have read in numerous forums and reviews that the ATI image quality is better. My personal experience? On a Dell 2405fpw, I could not tell the difference. I am sure their probably is one. If you get two identical systems with two identical monitors and play the same game side by side with both cards, you could probably point out subtle differences in image quality. But here is the thing: the 7900GTX, just by itself, looks great, totally awesome, no actual problems, issues or complaints whatsoever. Nobody can tell me that they look at the 7900gtx image quality and say "boy, that sure looks crappy". It's a high end top of the line card and every game I own looks fabulous on it. My point is whatever image quality differences there are don't really matter that much (to me) in the end.

Where I could tell a difference was with heat and noise. The ATI card is hot and loud as hell (at load temps...it's fine at idle, but who buys a $500 video card to let it sit in 2D mode all the time). I even tried buying an Accelero X2 aftermarket cooler on the X1900XTX and that was a nightmare. Sure, it was quiet, but my gpu and nf4 chipset temps went up 10C!!! The Accelero exhausts hot air down, which on most DFI boards is right onto the Chipset cooler. I threw that piece of crap (the Accelero X2) in the garbage can; it would have been dishonest to sell it to some other poor sap.

So, in case you haven't guessed by now, I prefer the nVidia card. And please don't call me an nVidia fanboy. Fact is I have sworn by ATI cards for years. I think I have just finally had it with the Catalyst Control Center, and the soaring temps and loudness of the X1900XTX was the final straw for me.

'nuff said

I'm glad I found this succint post. Noise and heat are becoming more of a concern these days. I was looking at ATI but they still seem to be behind the curve lately. Maybe with a better third party cooler that exhausts outside the case, it would be a viable option. You gotta love what nVidia's done with the die shrink though. Cooler, more quiet and very powerfull :cool:

I'm glad I found this succint post. Noise and heat are becoming more of a concern these days. I was looking at ATI but they still seem to be behind the curve lately. Maybe with a better third party cooler that exhausts outside the case, it would be a viable option. You gotta love what nVidia's done with the die shrink though. Cooler, more quiet and very powerfull :cool:

actually atis been using the 90nm process longer than nvidia has.. the 7900s and 7600s are the first 90nm gpus produced by nvidia.

the fact is that atis coolers are crap compared to nvidias. and if u add something like an arctic silencer to the ati cards, there goes your warranty.

I think you will have a hard time finding a better aftermarket cooler than the default one on the 7900GTX 512mb. It's got huge heatsinks, heatpipes and a silent 8cm fan with an exhaust to the outside of the case. top notch cooling performance, no opportunity for Zalman here....

Well, you can forget crossfire on two X1900XT's unless you have a case that includes a refrigeration unit. I just recently upgraded? from a Nvidia 7800GT (that I fried doing the voltage mod) to a Powercolor X1900XT. I can say that image quality on DVD playback is better on the ATI, game image is about equal. ATi's driver package sucks - you have to install .NET framework in order to use the Catalyst Control Center, or your stuck looking for hacked or third party driver packs for video and clock controls.

Like Grimmwor, I also tried the Accelero2 and it's a mixed bag of success - but at least you can hear yourself think. The OEM fan on the ATi card sounds like a jet at anything over 60% fan speed (which is all the time if you're doing anything in 3D mode).

I'm still trying to warm up to the card (which you wouldn't think would be so hard since it runs at about the same temperature as the core of a nuclear power plant!) I've considered selling, but I think I'll hold out for a while and see if someone comes out with a capable aftermarket cooling solution that DOES exhaust air outside of the case. Right now I've got the NZLT Nexa case and my air cooling consists of the following;

120 front intake

120 rear exhaust

120 blowing across PWMIC and memory

120 blowing on Accelero2 intake and voltage regulators

80 topside blow hole

Now, let me tell you, it's crazy to have to run that much air through your case (and not necessary if you choose the 7900GTX)

Luck.

7900gtx it is.. wait forget it ill just wait till dx10.. 8000 series

but its dx10 only vista compatible? in that case its 7900gtx... dammit by the time vista comes out ill only have dx9... oh well theres no point of return

i aint buyin vista... waste of money for a damn dvd thatll cost about 2 bucks to manufacture and ship in bulk.. yet u pay 150+ for the damn thing. . granted they have to develop it all but wth? no way am i paying that much...

so the image quality is not too different?