First Time DFI Build, Wont Boot!

Hi

Boot it one one stick of RAM in the lower orange slot first. If as you say; your memory is working, I'm sure it is fully compatible with this mobo as I have run a number of these with this RAM. It's not your PSU although it may be a bit light but is ok for boot up. The only way to check you vid is stick it in someone elses slot and give it a whirr as already stated. Check out the sticky, disconnect all other unecessary tat you have, give it a long CMOS clear and just boot it with 1 stick of RAM, Vid card and CPU. See what happens you cant do more than this. If this fails have a long chat with the guy who sold it to you.

Regards

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There really is no reason for you to be bumping. I reread the whole post over again from beginning to end and the second poster to answer you told you the problem in all likelihood. It was UncleDavid218 when he said he suspected the power supply.

Antec Smartpower 450watt (15A & 17A on the 12V rails) is probably NOT enough to start this > eVGA Geforce 6800GS <. Those cards are causing problems many many places that I look at on the net. That cards core clock is even higher than the 6800Ultra series card. A little less memory clock and less pipes but all in all still a card that needs power for sure. You have a board that is noted to need power and a card now that is core clocked higher than even the 6800 ultra series and you get to one red LED still lit and no final VGA initialization and it could well be the power supply.

Of course we are each supposing that your 'used' buys were all for good product. Be that as it may there are no more tips/tweaks/tricks or troubleshooting to do. You are going to have to substitute some parts that are good for testing. A cheap much lower power hungry video card probably would start in the rig even with the underpowered power supply and then you would know the board is good and the vid card and/or the power supply is the problem. It don't go no where else.

RGone...

....bump....

You're going to have to divide and conquer here. First do the long CMOS clear and see if it works. For reference here's the link: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...04&postcount=24 .

If you still can't boot then you're going to have to start testing each part seperately. Test the memory in some other known working computer. Make sure it's memory that's compatible with the motherboard.

If the memory work move down the list. Test the processor out in a known working motherboard that supports it (my Asus A8V supported it and not even with the latest BIOS) and see if works.

If the processor works then move on to the video card. You're going to have to find some way to test the video card. If you can't test it I'd suggest RMA'ing it since eVGA I think will be your fastest turn around on a RMA other than DFI. But it might take a week or two to get one back to you, a week most likely.

If the video card works then you're left with either the motherboard or the power supply and to me the power supplies 450w may not be enough in reality. I'd suggest putting everything back together with only one ram stick in the ram slot closest to the edge of the board. Check and double that all the needed power connections are connected. If it still doesn't boot up and you have another floppy power connector (like OCZ have) then use another 4 pin molex and the other floppy connector. See if that boots up if it doesn't then try the long CMOS clear again. If that still doesn't work I'd suggest either getting yourself a higher wattage power supply or RMA'ing the motherboard. That's all I can think of right now.

And breathe.

I would blame the PSU myself, as DFI recomend atleast 485W minimum (to me that equals=585W minimum).

Im about to order my rig and will probably spring on an ever so slightly higher PSU as I plan to OC that opteron and X1800XT.

Try to get ahold of another PSU thats over 500W (I suggest a 600W to be sure) and test. Im sure the local computer shop wouldnt charge you that much to slap in a 600W PSU and try to boot. Narrows it down a whole lot from where im sitting. Aside from the ideas you got bad parts online. I wouldnt invest in such hardware without a warrent, a reciept and the ability to RMA.

well on my motherboard, it recomends 400watt PSU (in the manual)... anyway, i tried a cmos reset and to no avail. i just get a long beep for like 3 seconds and still get a VGA red LED...

Nah man.. listen to some of the comments people are leaving saying that it could be your power supply. It really could be from everyone elses experience and mine that it might be the power supply. Even if the manual says 400w I say you need at least a good 500w power supply. Follow what I typed up.. read it and go to the next step.. keep going down the list to figure it out.. if not then you're going to be sitting there with just nothing but high priced electronics laying around.

tested the RAM, and the CPU. the power supplly was bought from a person who used an Ultra D user before with no problems. that leaves my video card and motherboard left... ok, now i think i know what the problem is. i noticed when i took out the card and powered everything up, it got only the 1 diagnostic LED and a 2 second beep, which is exactly the same as when it was IN the board. and also when i put my video card in it hits the chipset fan... so could that be it? could it be that the card cant be seated fully into the slot? because that fan is there, i dont think i can push my eVGA 6800GS fully into the PCI-E slot. can someone tell me how to easily take it off (unless its vital for the chip to be cooled, i doubt it) so i can see if its blocking the way of the video card? any help would be appreciated thanks.

ok took the chipset fan off and the GPU went in further, but still no video at all. im exactly where i was 2 weeks ago! damn, im ready to leave DFI forever! well, i dont know, i guess i will get my buddy to bring an old PCI video card and pop it in there and see if we get any video. if it does, it probably means the cards defective. if not, then bye bye board and hello MSI or Abit again...

I dont understand how you can be angry with DFI when you dont even follow their advice...

I dont care who used what on whatever before you... you should use a 485W (and IMHO not only more W but a QUALITY) PSU. Removing your northbridge fan isnt a good idea, and leaving it off is just asking for problems... if it wasnt necessary it wouldnt be there.

Try the PCI video card if you wish, but you should just ditch that board or try and get your money back. Then get a new retail Ultra-D and a good quality PSU 485W or over.

Then if you have issues you atleast have half a right to be pissed.